22 March 2012

Book Review: A Monster Calls (2)

Title: A Monster Calls
Author: Patrick Ness
Publisher/Year: Candlewick / 2011
Date Finished: 30 September 2011
Source/Format: Bought / Print
Book #: 74

Buy | Borrow | Accept | Avoid


The Short and Sweet of It
Awesome.

A Bit of a Ramble
My love for Ness's Chaos Walking series pretty much ensures I will read anything that man writes, so when I heard about A Monster Calls, it went on the wish list immediately. I even defied my book buying ban to get my hands on it (although I am proud of the fact that I held out for a few months at least).

I have to say though that even without Ness's name attached, I probably would have bought this one anyway. Ever since reading Brian Selznik's The Invention of Hugo Cabret, I've had a fascination with books which include extensive illustrations. A Monster Calls uses numerous illustrations throughout and they are done in a wonderfully creepy, gray scale style:

Aren't these just beautiful pieces of art?! I loved looking at these pictures and spent a great deal of time gazing at them, letting my imagination wander.

The story is just as wondrous. Truly unique, the tale features three stories from the monster which reveal important truths but not ones typical for a fairy tale. I was so impressed with these stories: the way they worked together to complement the main narrative and the way they revealed humanity and not a pat moral. Because I myself am big on not spoiling the plot, and I honestly believe this is one tale which you need to know very little going in, I'll stop there.

My final thoughts on this one revolve around something rather embarrassing. I want to preface this by saying that I am not a crier. Seriously, I can only think of a few stories, whether books or film, which made me cry: Schindler's List and Braveheart are really the only two that spring to mind. With this one, there were a few moments, I was getting teary and one where I wanted to bawl like a baby. The worst part is that I was in Barnes and Noble while reading, smack in the middle of the cafe, so I had to force back the tears and try to keep my face from doing that horrid, tense, smooched up look one gets when trying not to cry.

So my advice is to go now and buy this book, but try to read it in private, so you can indulge in a bit of weeping.

NOTES
I republished this review as it won runner up in the Speculative Fiction category for the ILAs!!!

12 comments:

  1. So...I don't normally pay any attention to reviews of this book, because I didn't actually like the first Chaos Walking book (I know, I know) and never read the rest. Somehow all this time I didn't realize this was illustrated. I love that sort of novel, and it makes me think I ought to give Ness another try for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cried SO HARD when I read this book, and loved it so much! It was such a feat of writing and illustration, and there is so much in the book to really think about and wonder over. I read this last year, and thought that it was just an amazing read. It's one that I know I won't forget anytime soon. Fantastic review today. I love that you included some of the illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book too, and also bawled despite the fact that I normally am not at all a crier!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have wanted to read this one for ages but just keep forgetting about it. Definitely need to pick this one up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The more I hear about this, the more I want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to get to this one. I'll try to remember to read it in private, though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. But, but...why the "Borrow" rating??? It IS an amazing book for kids or adults, and yes I cried like a damn fool when I read it. The illustrations are just stunning too. Should be required reading for somebody, everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I admit that I only got as far as "Awesome." I want to read this one...and I don't. But I'm guessing it's OK to read as your hormones are probably a bit more crazy than mine are right now (I mean that with love). Anyway, I fear I already know too much about this one (same with Fault in Our Stars).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought this one was an incredibly powerful picture of grief. I was 14 when I lost my mom to cancer, so though I'm DEFINITELY not a crier, I lost it while reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not a crier-at-books either -- Markus Zusak is the only author who regularly makes me cry, and I shed a couple of tears at the last book in Patrick Ness's YA dystopian series -- but from what everyone has said, this book's going to be an exception.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep, I still wanna read it. But especially as a mom, I know I'm gonna get gutted.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, yes, and yes: phenomenal illustrations, great fairy tales, and man, did I weep like a baby at the end. One of the best books I read last year.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!