24 September 2012

Madison Monthly: Turning 8 Months Old

The Basics
She's awesome, frustrating, sweet, beautiful, tiring, and in general a baby.


Eating and Sleeping and Stuff
She still loves her food; although, we introduced fruit and now someone has decided she would rather eat Pears with Cinnamon than Harvest Vegetables. Honestly, who can blame her though? I figure I'll let her have some fun with fruit and then try to throw some veggies back into the mix in a few weeks.

I tried stepping up to the Stage 3 baby food, which is chunky, but nutterlicious took one bite, gagged, and puked, so we are sticking with Stage 2 for another month. I'm not sure how or when to introduce "real" food, so any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Sleeping is going well; my crazy baby still thinks that 6:15 is a good time to wake up in the morning, but I can't complain too much as she has been going down pretty well around 8:30. Rarely does she cry to the point I have to go get her in the middle of the night. A few 10 second cries here and there - and who knows what the phat that is all about - but for the most part she's sleeping well.

The only sleeping consideration is her unhealthy and weird tendency to sleep face down, hands tucked in by her cheeks. Seriously, how is she not suffocating? I worry and worry and then try to accept the fact that she must be doing this all night and hence perfectly capable of breathing.

My favorite parts of the day are when I go get her in the morning or after a nap. She is just freaking thrilled to see you, gazing at you with a huge smile on her face. Then she always does a full stretch, arms and legs fully extended. And finally, we get a solid ten minutes of cuddle time in mommy's bed. This is the only time of day my baby cuddles. She never just sits with you at any other time; she's got to be moving. Unless of course, she is sitting with daddy. Every now and then, she will let herself relax for brief moments on the daddy's lap, particularly if daddy is playing music on his cell phone.

Madison loves the water, whether it's the pool or a tubby. While we've been giving her sponge baths on a towel next to the sink, this month we finally put her in the sink. Oh mary, what a happy baby. She loves it, splashing and cooing and playing with anything she can get her hands on. I wish we could put her in our tub, but the only one we have is a jacuzzi tub which I am too short to bathe Madison in. And I'm not quite ready to actually take a bath with her - at least not all the time.

I brought her in the shower with me twice this month. I don't wash her or anything; we just chill. It's one of the few times she relaxes. She puts her head on my shoulder and coos while the water hits her in the back. My little water baby...




Behavior and Development
Walking. It's all we do. She wants to walk and walk and walk and walk. Specifically she wants to hold your fingers and cruise every which way. She refuses to walk back and forth between two people sitting on the ground - I'm convinced that's because she knows she isn't getting anywhere doing that. My back is killing me. My husband's back is killing him. We say this must be one of the reasons people have kids in their 20s rather than in their 30s; we are old and decrepit.

She is especially fond of walking up and down the stairs in our house - a tri-level. She also seems to like bathrooms; at home and at great-grandmas, the bathroom is one of the first places she walks too. 

She absolutely adores music. She will sit and dance on the floor, legs and arms flailing, if the tv is playing music or, even better, if Uncle Mark is playing the harmonica. She sings during these little sessions too, humming away in pleasure. Her fascination with music has been pretty constant. From the time she could make noise, she would hum along to the music on the radio in the car.



As she is so into walking, she displays no interest in crawling. She did manage to scoot across the floor on her belly (trying to get to my sunglasses the first time) a few times, but she mainly just fusses or all out cries when we try to make her crawl to us. Poor daddy keeps trying though:



She's introduced a few more sounds to her vocabulary. Various levels and tones of screaming and shrieking were her sounds of choice, but now we are getting some blah blah blah ba ba ba ma ma ma sounds added into the mix. I adore it when we get to have a conversation this way. And her mouth is the cutest thing ever as her talking looks a lot like a combination of chewing and smacking your lips.

Another trick of Madison's is the cocking of the head. From time to time, for apparently no reason, she will lean her head sideways. Most of the time she smiles when she does this. She definitely thinks it's a clever trick.

Social Stuff
She likes people and has very much enjoyed the many family dinners we've been having lately. She will sit in her high chair and make the rounds, looking from me to daddy to grandma to grandma to grandpa to aunt sheila to uncle mark, making sure to meet each person's eye before moving on. It's adorable.

We take a lot of walks, and now that it is getting cooler, poor little M has to be bundled up. She still loves it though. The stroller is the only place I've never heard her whine. She looks and looks and just seems so content to walk around. We meet a lot of people on our walks, and while Madison doesn't spend much time socializing - after all, there are trees and cars and squirrels to look at- she certainly isn't scared of new people, and will occasionally offer a smile at a newcomer before being ADDed by wind blowing through the trees.

Her Nicknames: While nutter still tops my list, I have recently started calling her Gorgeous because, well, because she is gorgeous. Nutterlicious has been making a few appearances, and I have to admit I am quite fond of it. I've been thinking that Nutter may not be a nickname one would use for an 8 year old, but it's a hard habit to quite. And what do I want her nickname to be? Maddie is the most obvious, and while I don't mind it, it's not the best to me. Maybe M? Although that may a bit Sherlockian. Any ideas? Do I let the nickname grow organically, and end up with something like nutter, or do I put forth some serious nicknaming effort?

The Pictures
Sup
Sometimes I actually lift my head off my shoulders and you can see my neck...
Ehhhh, I can't get my sock off if this shoe is in the way.
Swimming is the awesomest....
But walking is pretty cool too.
What happened to the sun? Seriously, what is this stinging cold?


16 comments:

  1. What a priceless smile she has! These updates are terrific. As I've said before, I wish I'd done something like this when mine were little. I love the description of her dancing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! She really is gorgeous. I just love these posts. It takes me back. My son went from being a lump to running, while my daughter was very careful and took each little advance very cautiously. Beware this one, she is a pistol! Don't have good advice on the solid chunky foods, although I do remember that at one point when we were in this stage, we found that the kids really preferred "real" chunks versus the baby food chunks. Stuff just cut up in tiny pieces. Then they could practice feeding it to themselves. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Z is eight and we still haven't figured out the "real" nickname. We have our "at home" nickname (the one that goes with Z) but are still sticking to using the full version of his name. I guess some of his friends at school have shortened it but we tried using it and he informed us that it's his school nickname only. :P There are two Maddie's in his age group so if you don't want her to have that nickname, you'll need something better -- Mads? I do like M. :)
    (And I love when their necks show up! So cute!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Madison is so cute! I love how she's cocking her head to the side in one of the pictures! I don't know what to say about her sleeping face down. That's the only way I can sleep myself! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at that beautiful girl! And she sleeps like Bert in Sesame Street -- nothing wrong with that. Works fine for Bert!

    (I actually used to try to sleep like Bert but it turned out I couldn't breathe. Your child is singularly gifted.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh she is gorgeous!!! She seems like she is doing everything she should … and more!! Isn't cuddle time the best? I miss those days! Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cutie! I love her cool hair -- those bangs are to die for :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eeee, I'm melting with the cute!!!! What a sweetie!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. She is gorgeous! When I was watching the baby, they started giving her soft foods at about 8 months. She had some ice-cream (a huge favorite) and pudding, as well as some chopped can peaches and bits of cheese. I think you are doing a great job with her! She is so social and active that she will be a very independent child. So, so nice to see that she is getting to be such a cutie, and that she is miles ahead in her development!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our kids all luvved teh tummie sleeping, so I'm not sure if thats encouraging or discouraging, considering my kids. Nutter is an awesome nickname! Dont' desert it now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. She's beautiful! I remember freaking out because my daughter would always sleep in weird positions...and she still does. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. hahaha, Morrigan used to sleep like that all the time, with his face buried. Everyone said he was supposed to lay on his back or side, but he wouldn't sleep any way but on his stomach with his face in the pillow...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like how that dark streak of hair looks like she's sportin' a mohawk.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Walking at 8 months?! I can't even imagine...how tired you are going to be. ;) I actually found it easier when Elle finally started walking, but by finally I mean 14 months. It was about damn time.

    I adore that picture of her in the red shirt. And the skeleton gloves and pants. She looks like such a sweet happy baby.

    Cherish those 10 minutes of cuddles!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!