24 November 2012

Healthy Cooking: Weeks 1 and 2

Here are the recipes for our healthy homecooked meals over the past two weeks:

Meal #1 :: Roasted Chicken Breast with Herbs, Carrots, and Red Potatoes


1 lb stir fry chicken
2 cloves of garlic, sliced thin
1/2 tsp. dried rosemary, chopped
1 T poultry seasoning
4 carrots, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
4 red potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 T extra virgin olive oil

  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and set the oven rack in the middle of the oven. Line a 10x12 inch pan with aluminum foil.
  2. Use the tip of a sharp boning or paring knife to cut 3 small slits into the side of each chicken breast; insert a slice of garlic into each slit.
  3. Mix the rosemary and poultry seasoning together and sprinkle evenly over the chicken.
  4. Arrange the breasts close together on the foil-lined pan. Place carrots and red potatoes in a bowl; toss with olive oil until evenly coated. Place in a single layer around chicken and fold up edges of foil approximately 1 inch.
  5. Cover and cook in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and vegetables are fork tender. An instant-read thermometer should register 165 degrees.
The recipe actually called for chicken breast, but I'm not a fan of thick chicken and that's all I can find outside of Market Day; hence, I used stir fry chicken. Also, I think 1 tablespoon of olive oil is plenty; although you do run the risk of the vegetables burning.

Very tasty

Meal #2 :: Rainbow Trout with Yogurt Sauce and Broccoli Pasta

The Trout...okay, so I used Tilapia....
  1. In a medium bowl combine 1 cup of plain yogurt, 1 shredded cucumber, 2 T chopped dill, 1 whole lemon juiced and zested, and 1 T extra virgin olive oil.. Mix well and set aside.
  2. Turn oven broiler on. Coat a broiler pan with non-stick cooking spray.
  3.  Broil for about 8 minutes or until fish flakes with a fork. To serve spoon yogurt sauce over fish.
So, the husband and I are not a fan of the sauce. We are plain old tartar sauce kind of people. Fish, however, I always love.

The Broccoli Pasta
  1. Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Stir in the linguini pasta and return to a boil. Cook the pasta uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta has cooked through, but is still al dente. Drain.
  2. Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Add 3 T extra virgin olive oil and 1 T unsalted butter. Add 2 minced garlic cloves and cook 30 seconds. Add 2 lbs. broccoli pieces and stir. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
  3. Toss gently with pasta and serve topped with grated parmesan.
Delicious. The hubby and I even ate this on its own the next night; and Brian never eats a meal without meat, so that's impressive.

Meal #3 :: Chicken Stir Fry and Rice

  1. Slice (or dice) 1 red pepper, 1 green pepper, 1 stick of celery, 3 carrots, 1/2 onion, 10-15 edamame (no need to cut these, just remove the beans (or not)), and anything else you want. 
  2. Slice chicken breasts into strips.
  3. Heat some olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add in the chicken and veggies.
  4. Add in 2 T soy sauce, 3 T lemon juice, dash of pepper, and a dash of chili flakes. 
  5. Cook for about 14 minutes - or until veggies and chicken are done. 

As for the rice, I just used Uncle Ben's Wild Rice which is beautifully contained in a microwavable bag, ready in 90 seconds....yeah, that counts as cooking....

Yet again, very tasty.

There was no meal #4 as Thanksgiving came up and slapped me in the stomach - right after the flu slapped me in the stomach for two days of no fun. But hey, I lost 9 pounds (yeah, that really doesn't count, does it).

I'm going to try to remember to take pictures of the meals - just to make these posts prettier.... :)

 

7 comments:

  1. I would have used tilapia too! :D Or Swai, which I really like. Not a big fan of trout, though!

    Sorry to hear about the flu and all...

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of these sounds really yummy!! We aren't big fish eaters (I like it but don't know how to cook it and Scott doesn't like it so doesn't want me to learn how to cook it). Sometimes we'll broil some salmon though as Scott does like that and it takes under 10 minutes to cook.

    Thick chicken. If you've got a meat mallet, pound those breasts down! Makes em really tender and they cook much quicker as well.

    Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is a great challenge to work on. I should consider something similar but I HATE cooking.

    By the way, TAG … you are it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! No reason why healthy cooking can't be tasty as well. Would second the idea about pounding. FYI Williams Sonoma has the world's BEST FREAKING POUNDER. Weighs about 5 pounds but can conquer anything. I pound just about any kind of meat we eat (especially chicken and pork).

    ReplyDelete
  5. The chicken dish sounds yummy. I've never been big into fish for some reason. I will eat some whitefish and I will eat tuna, but I can't get into the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go you! I'm super late to the party, but I'm gonna be trying some of these meals myself. They all sound awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always down for trying a new chicken recipe, so thank you. And YEA YOU for dropping 9 pounds. Great job :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!