11 November 2012

Not Really Reading Update

Okay, so that title may be a bit disingenuous since I totally intend on telling you about my reading; however, I am reading so much slower than normal now that baby  nut is around, I rarely feel like I am "reading". I'm just visiting a book from time to time. When you are used to reading a book in a day and four to five hour stretches of reading indulgence, only getting 20 minutes every other day or so is difficult to adjust to. I am getting there though, and despite the way it sounds, I swear I'm not bitter.

The book I've been visiting for the past two weeks (maybe week and a half) is China Mieville's The City and The City. The basic idea: Two countries share the exact same geographical space, but the inhabitants of each are trained from birth to "unsee" the other city: the people, the buildings, the cars, everything. It is such a strange premise that when I first started reading I was quite disbelieving; after all, you can't literally "unsee" something and I had a hard time believing that the influence of culture and habit could outweigh the input to the senses. Honestly, for the first 50 pages or so I wasn't sure I would enjoy the book at all. Now, a little over half way through, I'm finding the story engaging, the characters and setting all noirish and wonderful, and the premise rather fascinating. Thank heavens I stuck with it. Hopefully I will get it finished this week.

I started reading a book called Frey by Melissa Wright on my nook - I think it was a freebie over at Barnes and Noble - but I'm not sure if I'm going to continue reading. There's nothing really "wrong" with the story (and I"m only like 20 pages in) but so far it's just not capturing my interest. I was wondering if anyone else has read it, and whether or not I should continue....

Finally, I am making a rather serious decision. I want to buy a tablet, but which one people, which one? Do I get the iPad? The Samsung Galaxy Note? Microsoft Surface? What, what, what do I get? I am so completely ignorant that I don't see how I'm supposed to make this decision. So any suggestions would be much appreciated!!!

13 comments:

  1. I am here to tell you not to feel bad. My kids are at school all day and I don't read much either. If it weren't for audios, I'd read close to nothing. I love to read but would hate to miss out on what life is giving me right now. I really enjoyed City and the City. So SO clever, never mind that it is also a great murder mystery. I considered it one of the more challenging audios I listened to last year. As far as the tablet, I do not have one. I have my iPhone and my Mac Book Air and a Kindle, and figured there was too much overlap. BUT I will say that Apple products are just so solid. Never a moments trouble ever. If I were going to get a tablet, I'd get the iPad just because I trust them so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The City and the City sounds really good.

    My reading is going by really slowly too. It's hard to adjust and I often wonder if I'm going to remember the story when I go back to the book. Do you wonder about the same thing?

    The closest thing I have to a tablet is my Nook Color. I can't give you much when it comes to suggestions but I think you should think about what you're going to use it for and pricing. I can't wait to find out what you end up with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not big into tablets...or I wasn't until the Microsoft Surface. Argh! I hate when technology is so pretty! I want it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard anything good about Microoft Surface yet, but my Mum is addicted to her iPad. Don't know about the Nexus but I love my Samsung Galaxy phone so if it's to the same level.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When my kids were little, if I remember correctly, the only way I got time to read was to grab a book while breastfeeding. *LOL!* My son went through a phase when he seemed to glued to the breast all the time -- I made it through Anna Karenina & War and Peace. :-P

    Adding City City to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops ... I mean The City and the City

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really need to read Mievelle! I think this book has the most interesting premise. I think it was made into a play at a theatre near me, which must have been challenging.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I gave up on City and the City after about 30 pages - but I think I will give it a try at some point after reading your thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so want to read The City, The City, and can't wait until you finish it to hear what you think. I have his book Kraken on my iPad. If you are going to get a tablet, I would recommend the iPad. I use it for everything. I read on it, watch tv and movies, and listen to music, as well as play games and check my email. It's by far the most versatile tablet you can get. A little expensive, but so totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved The City and the City. I feel like it's a book where you can't think about the premise too much... if you do, it gets frustrating. But when you just sort of accept it, then it's fun to get into the plot and characters and the world of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You'll want a Surface if you have other things you could link it to like an Xbox. Supposedly it's awesome for that. I have an iPad and I love it and more importantly the kid loves it. You're not too many months away from little fingers sneaking their way onto your devices. ;) The iPad also has the most apps right now. I don't know anything about the Galaxy Note but it's probably in the middle for apps with Surface having the least.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Babies do have the habit of messing up our reading time don't they? It gets better though.

    As far as a tablet, if your main and only goal is to read on it, then I would recommend the Kindle Paperwhite. You can read in the dark and in total daylight. If you are looking for a tablet for other things (surfing web, playing games, watching movies), then an iPad or an iPad mini would be my recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been halfway through Mockingjay for 10 months. I've had a half-read What Mothers Do on my nightstand for maybe a year? I also have started The Baker's Daughter but think I won't pick that one up again until next year. :) I have been known to bring cookbooks into bed with me. I can read a recipe in one sitting!!

    There was a readalong of City and the City this past summer and I wanted to join but was doing The Stand at that time.

    I have an ipad but rarely use it. I know--NOTHING in this comment was helpful. :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!