10 March 2013

Me, Lately

After reading Trish and Kim's posts today, I decided to blend their formats together (which I believe they borrowed from other bloggers) and make my own post.

Time // 10:50 - which is actually more like 9:50 because of the time change

Place // My couch in the upstairs living room

Eating // Nada. I'm not a breakfast person.

Drinking // French Vanilla coffee with a whole bunch of creamer in it. Not healthy, but quite tasty.

Listening // Charlie Musselwhite.


Blues music is just so evocative, as is the harmonica. Hence Musselwhite is a go-to guy suggested by my Uncle Mark, who plays the harmonica and the drums. On a side note, my daughter Madison has decided to play the harmonica as well.




Watching // I haven't had much time for TV lately, but I try very hard to make time for Elementary and White Collar (although White Collar may be getting too overly dramatic for me).

Reading // I just finished the first two books in Charles Gilman's Lovecraft Middle School series and the final installment of the Birthmarked series by Caragh O'Brian. I am trying to decide what to read next, and I can't seem to decide between Seraphina and Sever. Seraphina sounds like a better read, but finishing Sever means I finish a series. Decisions, decisions. What do you think I should read?

Planning // Planning has been what's keeping me busy lately as I try to figure out what I'm going to teach for the second half of this semester. I'm still wavering on my Intro to Lit class. We are reading A Doll's House, and any ideas on what I should do or focus on would be very very welcome!

Thinking // I need to better organize my life so that I have time for everything I love including Madison, work, tv, books, and blogging. So far, no good ideas.

Feeling // As I think is normal with a young child and a full-time job, I've been feeling overwhelmed lately, especially as my Spring Break, which was supposed to be spent getting ahead in work, was taken over by a sick baby. Madison had RSV, bronchiolitis (bronchitis but worse), and pneumonia (still has actually), so much of my time has been spent with medication, breathing treatments, and holding a sleeping baby who can't breathe when laying flat on her back.


Wanting // A nanny, a cook, a cleaning person, and coca-cola. The first probably make sense, but the fourth is because I used to drink two cans of coke a day and have now stopped buying coke altogether at home. Now I only get to drink it when I go out to dinner which is all too rare.

Promoting // I read a post today that really moved me, so I want to share it with any who haven't read it yet. Jill over at Rhapsody in Books posted about Sexual Abuse of Women in the Military and the post was enlightening, disheartening, and emotional.

Okay, I have to say that was rather fun to do, so whenever I have time, I hope to continue posting like this.

What have you guys been doing lately?

21 comments:

  1. Your kiddo playing the harmonica for her adoring public is *adorable.* Sorry to hear she's been sick. :(

    If you figure out a great way to organize your life to have time for all the things you love, could you give me some pointers? I could use some help with that myself.

    Let's see, if I were you, I'd read Sever, but that might have more to do with how if I had my crap together, *I* would want to be reading Sever.

    And be strong, oh Coca-cola junkie. I used to be a terrible Dr. Pepper addict, but I managed to kick the habit just about cold turkey a few years ago. Now when I'm eating all sorts of junk food, I can still console myself (over a bag of potato chips and few donuts) by saying, "Hey, at least I don't drink a ton of soda. That alone has to make me a way healthier person!" Which makes it totally worth it, of course. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so funny you said that. I too find myself consoling myself by thinking "at least I'm not drinking coke" while I'm hogging down pizza. :)

      Delete
  2. I like the format of this post. Sorry Madison's been sick - it's always so tough when kids are under the weather. I'd have to pick Seraphina, but that's mainly because I had my chance with it from the library but couldn't get to it before it had to be returned and now I'm back at the bottom of the holds list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seraphina does sound like the better read...

      Delete
  3. Poor Madison. I hope she feels better soon. You've had your hands full. No wonder you've been feeling overwhelmed. If you're really enjoying the Birthmarked series, I think you should read Sever. If not, Seraphina since everyone loves it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the first in the Birthmarked series, but I cooled a bit on the second, so...

      Delete
  4. Yeah Jill's post was a bitter pill to swallow on a Sunday morning, but wow did it impact me. Actually I got all riled up over it. Jill is good at finding those topics! Probably doesn't help you at all, but I know the feeling of being overwhelmed. I have felt like that for 15 years, whether I was working or not. Not sure if it is ever going to go away. And I vote for Seraphina...Jill loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Mary, you mean I won't be nicely whelmed soon? :)

      Delete
  5. Aw sorry Madison has been sick. That makes for both a cranky mommy and baby!
    I am currently drinking a French Vanilla coffee from Dunkin Donuts. It's the only flavored thing I drink, besides peppermint mocha around Christmas time from Starbucks.
    did make it the the gym today, and walked the dog; weather is gorgeous!
    Also doing some lesson planing for my classes :( Slight drag but needs to be done.
    As for your class I'm not sure what would be good for Intro to Lit. Would the Awakening by Kate Chopin work?
    Enjoy your Sunday and your week !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love lesson planning when I have large quantities of time, but right now I feel like just as I get a good idea, BAM, time for something else.

      Delete
  6. I'm always into spreading depressing things around, it seems! But good things too, like how good Seraphina is! However, I know well the compulsion to finish series, and I too need to finish the Birthmarked series (although I was disappointed with the second!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depressing but important! I love reading your posts! And that compulsion to finish is what's got me wavering right now. I wasn't thrilled with the second either so Seraphina seems like the better read, but oh to finish a series!

      Delete
  7. I feel you. My daughter got diagnosed with mono over spring break. NOT FUN. Hope your baby feels better soon.

    We just finished A Doll House in my Writing about Lit class. Students like to talk about the characters, especially because they're so complex and gray. It might be fun to talk about how they feel about Krogstad & Linde's relationship (some of my students had Strong Feelings about their reconciliation). Gender, of course, and relating it to now. I like to talk about Anne-Marie's line about being in trouble and the deadbeat dad and how things haven't really changed that much.

    There's also a good study guide that'll come up if you Google the play. I got some cool ideas for in class activities from there. And I stole the soundtrack idea for my student's drama essay (they have to create a five-song soundtrack for one of our plays).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestions! Oddly enough I use a Character Mix Tape for Ender's Game. I like how they combine character analysis with sci-fi and youth.

      Delete
    2. Mix tape. Awwwww.

      We need an awesome repository of assignments. Seriously.

      Delete
  8. Oh, do read Serpahina! It was such a great read, and one that I wanted to inhale. Even though I am not a dragon person, the dragons are people, see? And oh, I can't explain, but it's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Seraphina is winning in my mind. It just sounds so good!

      Delete
  9. Ugh, sorry to hear about Madison. It sucks when you lose time you were hoping to spend getting caught up to something unexpected (and even worse when it's a sick little girl).

    I did steal the post format from someone else, although I can't think of who -- I have to think it's getting pretty common (and I see it on craft blogs all the time as one of the cards in a Project Life album). I really like it though -- it helps me have an organized way to meander through a blog post on Sunday mornings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed writing the post like this. It was nice to have some way to focus my thoughts and simultaneously give ideas.

      Delete
  10. We need to find a way to divvy up time better. We need more time when our children are young so let's make those days 40 hour days and we need less time when we are old and tired, so let's make those 8 hour days (most of which can be spent sleeping).

    Are you listening, Daylight Savings Time Committee?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Musselwhite is awesome! peppy blues = LOVE. M's not too bad, either. So cute.

    I am one of the few people who like DST. or rather, it just doesn't bother me. At all.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!