25 August 2013

Disjointed Reading

Typically, I am a one-book-at-a-time kind of reader. Focused. Intent. Voracious. Since my reading time has been so drastically cut, I've become sporadic, polygamous, and disjointed. It's been strange - particularly lately as I've been reading two YAL series simultaneously - Mortal Instruments (a re-read) and Divergent (a new read). The reason this has been so strange: DREAMS. My dreams are all effed up with those two stories blending together. Hot. But effed up.

I'm not just reading those two series though; I am also reading Bad Marie. For some reason, that story has not featured in my late night surreal dreams, a fact I am rather glad for as every character in that book gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Moving past the dreams, I think I am finally comfortable reading multiple books at once - as long as at least one is YAL (easier to read) or one is a re-read (also easier to read). I think my brain my internally combust if I tried to read multiple classic novels or like David Foster Wallace alongside James Joyce.

One benefit of this book polygamy is that I can choose the appropriate book for the appropriate time. For example, I get about 20 minutes of reading a night. This is "easy reading" time. Anything more complex is saved for those once a week reading binges (which are now an hour to an hour and a half rather than 6-8 hours).

One downfall: it feels so strange to be reading one book for such a long chunk of time. It takes me weeks to finish a book rather than days now. But considering my reading stats fell from 130 books a year to more like 40, I'm just happy to be finishing books at all.

Now, if you will excuse me, I am going to head off to bed where Jace, Four, and I will be....uh...killing Erudite demons...yeah.




14 comments:

  1. I had to laugh about the dreams, because back when everyone was reviewing Bad Marie, I had a dream that she came up to me in a book store and started bullying me. And I hadn't even read the book! Haha! I actually did end up reading it, just in order to get her out of my head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally see Marie being a book store bully.

      Delete
  2. Hahahah, I often have dreams that mix up everything I've been reading/watching. I've been watching Breaking Bad and reading Veronica Roth, and the combination dreams are v. weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's both wonderful and remarkably creepy isn't it?

      Delete
  3. I wouldn't mind dreaming about Jace and Four! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! I...um...didn't like Divergent at all, and have avoided the Mortal Instruments series, so I don't have a clue what those dreams would be like, but I've had...other combinations...in the past. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's kind of nice to have the combo dream.

      Delete
  5. I'm just glad you figured out a way to keep reading. ;-) I haven't read either series before but they are on my tbr list. One day . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am stealing time at night - time I should be cleaning, doing dishes, etc.

      Delete
  6. I really love when books get into my dreams. Now if only I had more where I was playing quidditch....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had creepy bookish dreams the other night where somehow the girl from the Exorcist was really the main character. Awesometimes. Though I think I'm still a monogamist. I just don't read fast enough to read more than one book at a time though I can juggle with audio.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just started reading the City of Bones series after the movie came out. I really enjoyed the film, so I had to get my hands on the books. I read the first four in two weeks, and am now on a break. They were taking over my whole life as I had to know what was going to happen! Divergent is next up on my YA list. It was fun to see them together in this post. :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!