13 May 2014

Top 10 Tuesday: Ten Books I Almost Put Down But Didn't

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. To learn more about Top Ten Tuesday or see the list of future topics click here.

1. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov - To be perfectly honest, I did put this one down, but then I picked it up months later, so I think this totally counts.
2. Room by Emma Donaghue - This was a hard read. Child abuse really hits me, and as this one is narrated by the kid, it was downright painful to read.


3. The Reader by Bernhard Schlink: I just had a really, really hard time getting into this one; although it did grow on me a bit after I let the whole thing percolate.
4. No Touch Monkey and Other Travel Lessons Learned Too Late by Ayun Halliday: I feel so bad saying this, but I just didn't like this one. Too much about the traveler and not enough about the travel. I did make i all the way through though.


5. The Vampyre by John Polidori: This was more like a summary than a story, but it's importance to vampire mythology had me sticking to it.
6. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern: This was one I almost put down pure and simple because I did not want it to end. I loved it so much that I actually considered stopping about 3/4 of the way through just to prolong the pleasure.

Okay, so I only came up with six, not ten, but well, that's the way it goes sometimes.

8 comments:

  1. Well I didn't expect THAT kind of answer, that you almost put it down because you didn't want it to end! That is a good promotion for that book, which is still sitting on my shelves because the entire bloggiverse was going apeshit over it and I didn't want to be one of 12,000 reviews! Then I got distracted. I'm going to set it aside for my short-term TBR. I almost never set a book aside...I torture myself to the bitter end. I need to get better about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ROOM terrified me. The thought of picking it up made me feel sort of sick, but it was a great book and a good ending. But oh those haunting bits. Absolutely affecting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really really need to read The Night Circus. I've had it on my shelf for so long now, there's really no excuse!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have a tough time with this top 10. I might say Anna Karenina... and Lolita, for sure. Maybe my re-read of The Hobbit. But I seem to finish or not. Not many do I go back to. HOWEVER, I have let Delusions of Gender sit unread for weeks now letting the more exciting fiction options vy for my attention so maybe that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the note about The Nigh Circus. I did that with the last Harry Potter book. I read the last parts so slowly because I was sad it would be over!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved The Night Circus. I completely agree about not wanting it to end. Here's mine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Night Circus! It's such a fantastic book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love what you say about The Night Circus, because it's so true! I never wanted it to end either.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!