05 October 2014

Currently | 4 October

Time and Place // 9:21pm, on the couch

Eating and Drinking // not a thing...it's almost bedtime for old folk like myself

Reading // Of Monsters and Madness by Jessica Verday, and I must say I'm not impressed so far. The amount of missing information is overwhelming. I think Verday withheld information with the intention of increasing suspense, but in fact, all she has done is limit readers' knowledge and interest in the story. Should I keep reading?

Watching // Big Love. I've only seen about 9 episodes and I haven't been really and truly hooked by the show, but it is still interesting enough to keep my watching. Just maybe not at the break-neck pace I sometimes plow through seasons. I did recently watch season 1 of Reign which I loved.

Listening // Frozen. All I get to listen to every is the soundtrack from Frozen. My daughter - only 2 mind you - is obsessed. I know almost all the words to every song in the movie. I must admit that my true annoyance, though, comes from the fact that I find myself singing and NOT horrified by how much I'm enjoying myself.

Blogging // I'm trying to get back into the swing of things, so in the past week I've posted why I've been so absent and a review of eleanor & park by rainbow rowell. Coming up this week I have a discussion of the Veronica Mars franchise, a Top Ten Tuesday on character-driven novels, and two book reviews - Nora Roberts' The Collector and Carnival of Souls by Melissa Marr.


Teaching // We are finishing up the Ender's Game unit in my Intro to Lit course and about to start a unit focusing on Sheridan LeFanu's In a Glass Darkly. I'm still not 100% on what we will be doing with that collection, so any ideas are much appreciated. Film class is moving from The Usual Suspects to Pan's Labyrinth. In English II - advanced composition - we are writing papers on human/robot interaction from the perspective of each student's field of study. This is a first for that class, so I'm excited to see what they come up with.

Avoiding // Grading papers. Seriously need to get on it though before my students mutiny.


Anticipating // Halloween. I love it. I can't wait for it. M and I are going to find our costumes this week. When asked, she has responded with all of the following as her intended halloween costume: Daniel Tiger, Queen Else, a witch, the giant from Jack and the Beanstalk, a monster, and a pirate. I don't think she realizes yet that she can pick only one.


So how are you guys doing?

8 comments:

  1. I would be interested to hear if your class gets into a discussion of Card and his politics and whether that should make a difference on whether he gets read. And I think you should consider yourself lucky to have Frozen as Most Played instead of Strawberry Shortcake or Barney! LOLOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do actually, and I make it very clear that I strongly disagree with Card and find him rather abhorrent as a person. It leads to a discussion of author intention v. reader interpretation where we end up talking about Stephanie Meyer and her "no sex before marriage" theme.

      I had a hard time deciding to use Ender's Game, but it's a book that even people who "hate to read" enjoy. I think of it as a great gateway book.

      Delete
  2. The bane of my existence was an earlier Disney, and not just one movie but several. Mulan, Hercules, Beauty and the Beast. And then there was Shrek. I guess it is one of those parent things you have to embrace! Ha! And who wouldn't love your film class? The Usual Suspects and Pan's Labyrinth? Epic movies. If you are looking to binge watch something from TV, Big Love is not one I'd start with. So many other amazing ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to hesr more about the robot assignment. Sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how your daughter is thinking about being the giant from Jack and the Beanstalk! You give your students some fantastic assignments. The human/robot interaction paper sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paper grading. That's the lion's share of what I did yesterday. Need to do more today, but I refuse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The boyfriend and I started watching Big Love, but we just lost interested in it at some point... I can't remember when or why, but your comment about not rushing through it sounds a lot like how we felt about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This winter I listened to Frozen on repeat while I was riding the subway. Nothing seemed more appropriate. I'm not sure I would have felt the same way if I wasn't the one who chose to listen to it!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!