03 November 2014

Nonfiction November 1: My Year in Nonfiction

Hosted by Kim at Sophisticated Dorkiness, week 1's topic for Nonfiction November is to take a look back at your year of nonfiction and reflect on the following questions – What was your favorite nonfiction read of the year? What nonfiction book have you recommended the most? What is one topic or type of nonfiction you haven’t read enough of yet? What are you hoping to get out of participating in Nonfiction November?

I have not read much nonfiction this year, which is really not a surprise as I haven't read much at all - only 31 books, roughly 40 books down from a normal (as in pre-child) year. The nonfiction I have read, however, has been wonderful:

Warrior Women: An Archaeologists search for History's Hidden Heroines by Jeannine Davis-Kimball is an accessible, academic, and narrative tale about Davis-Kimball's archaeological discovery of evidence indicating...you guessed it Warrior Women. The book is brimming with interesting tidbits that are both entertaining and insightful.

Pilgrim's Wilderness by Tom KizziaOh my Jehoshaphat ladies and gents, this book was crazy reading. I was horrified, I was morbidly awed, I was politically outraged, I was personally offended, I was arrogantly disbelieving, I was floored. In a nutshell, it is about a incestuous, narcissistic, bible-thumping madman who homesteads in Alaska with his brainwashed wife and 15 kids, and ends up taking on the National Park Service and the law for his sins. 

Letters to a Young Poet by Rainer Maria Rilke the book is a collection of letters Rilke wrote to a young poet named Franz Xaver Kappus. These are life lessons from the truly deep mind of a man who believed in solitude as the great tool of the artist. Every line is infused with a truth that is beautiful, arguable, and insightful. 

Freak Show: Presenting Human Oddities for Amusement and Profit by Robert Bogdan focuses on the heyday of Freak Shows, 1840-1940. Bogdan covers the history of the presentation of freaks in conjunction with the circus, dime museums, carnivals, world fairs, the amusement industry in general. The book focuses on a simple but powerful argument: "How we view people who are different has less to do with what they are physiologically than with who we are culturally." My review of this one will be up later this week.

Stitches by David SmallEmotionally smacking me in the face on page 12, Stitches hooked me in and I devoured this intense graphic novel in about 20 minutes. Small mirrors form and content, using minimal words to relate a story about loss of voice (both literal and figurative). The images really shine here, telling as much of the story, if not more, than the actual text. 

84 Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanffa collection of letters between Hanff and a used-book seller in London, unveils a friendship that lasted 20 years. Hanff's quirky personality and Frank's blend of the personal and the professional really add life to their letters. Whether they were talking about books, family, or the odd tidbit, I was consistently interested in what they had to say. And I liked this one so much I actually chose it for my nonfiction selection for Introduction to Literature.

My favorite of the above is difficult to pin-down as they are remarkably different books. Warrior Women and Freak Show are academic, informative, fascinating books; Letters, Stitches, and 84 are lyrical and deep. But Pilgrim's Wilderness will haunt me - has  haunted me - and it is the one I am most likely to recommend to others. 

My plans for nonfiction reading include another book about freak shows - Freakery: Cultural Spectacles of the Extraordinary Body, edited by Rosemarie Garland Thomson which I've already started but I may be a bit "freaked" out right now. Then I plan on attacking two books on literary theory, textbooks for my Graduate Studies in Literary Theory course, which sounds geeky and fantastic. I also have a small stack of nonfiction I hope to read in the next month or so - and a giant shelf of them I hope to read in the next year.

So are you guys participating in Nonfiction November? What has your nonfiction reading been like this year?

24 comments:

  1. Really interesting sounding reads! Woman Warrior and Freak Show especially!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Umm... and I mean Warrior Women obviously not Woman Warrior!

      Delete
  2. Hey, you're back! And pregnant! Congratulations! I swear I just checked the other day to see if you'd posted, but evidently "just the other day" was September.
    I'm still waiting for the rest of the world to clue into the fact that the need to read Pilgrim's Wilderness. Why is no one listening to us about how horribly terrific this book is?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a seriously disturbing read. I even bought it in print after reading it on the nook just so I could make other people read it.

      Delete
  3. Ooh, Warrior Women sounds intriguing! And I loved 84 Charing Cross Road, did the whole look at the streetname sign in London ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see what my students make of it.

      Delete
  4. Ha - I love your pre-child comment! Yes - the arrival of the bambino will sure shake things up. I've got two little ones myself (4 and 1.5 yrs) and reading/blogging about it is my respite, although I'm sure I don't read as much as I did.
    Found you through the Nonfiction Nov link-up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids will be three years apart - almost to the day. I will definitely check out your blog; we have at least two things in common already!

      Delete
  5. Wow. Freak-show galore! LOL! And wait--you don't count all of those kiddo books in your annual count? Trisha. You should know better. I mean, I'm at 11ty million for this year. :)

    Stitches was a good one. I'm hoping to read more graphic memoirs at the end of the month. Cuz graphics are certainly easier with "mommy brain"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't count a single kids book this time around, but yep if I did I'd be up there in the 11ty millions as well - especially since I buy so many new kids books that M's bookshelves will soon rival my own.

      Delete
  6. WOW. Pilgrim's Wilderness made it onto my TBR/wishlist before I was even done reading the post! I definitely need to read Stitches, now, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely read it. It's just so ewww and OMG and ahhhhh and WOW.

      Delete
  7. Oh--84, Charing Cross Road is one of my favorite books EVER!!!! Have you read her book Q's Legacy? It's her story of how she came to write 84 and what happened afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even know it existed, but I am off to buy it now!

      Delete
  8. Warrior Women is going on my tbr list! Stitches is so emotionally jarring. Have you read any of Small's picture books? He's the illustrator and his wife writes them. They are beautiful, very different from the dysfunction of Stitches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read anything else by Small, but I will definitely check him out.

      Delete
  9. Geez, Trisha, I should just copy this post into my TBR list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhhh man. Your list is awesome and I want to read it all! I devoured Pilgrim's Wilderness. Whew, what a book!

    Freak Show is RIGHT up my alley, that one is going on my list for sure. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree you've got a very interesting selection of books! Your description of Letters to a Young Poet was so wonderful, I think I want to read it now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just finished a book on archaeologists, Lives in Ruins, that made me curious about the profession. That means Warrior Women sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The freak show book sounds fascinating, and I really want to read the Rilke at some point too. I had a copy of it fairly recently, but I have no idea where it's gone since we moved, oops. I LOVE 84, Charing Cross Road, it's one of my favourite books about books (and a great cosy Sunday afternoon movie) so I'm always happy to see that one getting some love! I've added a couple of books to my wishlist and marked you as the devious enabler so I can give you a shout-out during the last week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just came across the Rilke while playing library with my two year old and it's so little I may well squeeze it in this month! My reading is also about half of what it wss before kids, but I guess it's good we're reading at all with little ones!
    Warrior Women sounds really interesting

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so glad to find someone else who has read Pilgrim's Wilderness - what a bananas book! I totally agree that it's incredibly haunting, but also just so fascinating. Such a great recommendation.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!