29 March 2015

A Day in the Life of Yours Truly

I missed the posting day for Trish's awesome Day in the Life Event, but I thought posting two days late was no big thing. Let's get right down to it because there's a lot to cover from midnight to midnight: :)

12:53am Wake up and soothe a fussy Carter aka shove a sootie in baby's mouth and turn the vibrate on the bouncy seat. He has to sleep upright because of acid reflux. Yep, that's as fun as it sounds. 12:58 put sootie back in mouth. Sleep.

4:15am Wake up, put sootie in, back in bed, up again in 5 minutes, repeat. Finally give in and feed Carter at 4:38. Have to change outfit because he's managed to soak his clothes despite the fact that only half the diaper is wet.

5:12am Back to bed. Get out of bed twice to reassure Carter that yes, we do have to go back to sleep

6:30am Madison wakes up and calls for me. She wants to "cuddle in Mommy's bed" so I bring her back to my room. She falls back asleep with her face approximately 1/2 inch from mine. It's mildly creepy.

7:00am Get out of bed and head for the shower. Get clean, get partially dressed, blow dry, make-up, flat-iron, put on remaining clothes

7:20 Ready. Madison wakes up. Pee, brush teeth, get dressed, strawberry milk on couch while watching Odd Squad

7:35 I get my coffee and sit down
7:36 Carter wakes up. I stare longingly at my coffee. Go get baby. Change diaper. Enjoy beautiful morning smiles. Feed baby. Other baby eating granola bar (it's like she's a mini-adult)

8:00 Pile Madison, Carter, diaper bag, suitcase full of toys, bouncy seat, purse, work bag, and myself into car. Drop off all kids and kid-related items at mom's. Head to work.

8:30 At desk finally drinking coffee. A very, very large coffee. Prepare for day's lesson, grade, and otherwise do my job.

11:00 Go teach composition. Eat an apple on the way.

12:15 Back in office responding to drafts. Suck down some yogurt with granola. Wish I had a large pepperoni pizza.

1:15 Leave work.

2:00 Home. Eat Lunch. Quickly pick up house and get all the dishes in the dishwasher. I manage to horde all dirty dishes on the countertop RIGHT ABOVE the empty dishwasher until I have a full load. It's a sickness.

3:00 Head to mom's. Feed Carter and play there before heading home.

4:00 Arrive home. Carter pukes on me. I stare at my disgustingly soaked pajama pants and wonder if I have any that are clean.

4:30 I start a load of laundry. Madison helps. Afterwards we run around the red wall for 15 minutes while Carter watches, a look of confusion on his cute baby face. He falls asleep.

5:00 Start dinner. Sausage, Spinach, and Tomato pasta with a salad.

5:30 Play Berry Big City Cafe (a Strawberry Shortcake thing) with Madison. This involves a lot of talking in a high pitched voice for some reason.

6:00 Carter wakes up
6:15 Everyone gets to eat dinner but me as I feed Carter.

6:45 I get to eat dinner since everyone else is done. Then I get to clean everything up. Aren't I a lucky girl? :)

7:00 Playing Go to the Ball with Madison (aka Elsa in her beautiful sparkling, singing gown). I get to be Anna. We dance. We sing. We are awesome.

7:45 Get Madison ready for bed. She watches videos on YouTube with Daddy while I play with Carter.

8:30 Madison heads to bed with Daddy. Carter decides he's hungry again, so I feed him. He takes his time with this one.

9:30 Carter is finally done nursing his 6 ounce bottle, and he is now relaxing in his bouncy seat watching some television. He's fond of the news I guess.

10:00 Put Carter to bed. I get ready for bed - turn off lights, get bottle ready for night feeding, wash face, in bed.

10:10 Hop out of bed to ssshhh Carter a bit

10:11 Back in bed.
10:17 Sshhhh Carter. Sootie in mouth. Back in bed.

11:38 Madison has a nightmare. I get in bed with her an rub her back until she stops making those horrible nightmare-having-noises.

11:42 Back to bed.

Sounds like fun, right?

This was a Tuesday which is a strange cross between work day and home day. I often joke that I am a full-time college professor and a full-time mom as my job allows me to split my days. This means I end up doing a lot of work at night and on the weekends, but it's worth it. Afterall....


Wednesday morning before heading to Madison's gymnastics

Monday morning before bringing Carter to the doctor

Carter at the doctor's

Dinner last night


20 comments:

  1. Sootie I take it is the pacifier? It's so interesting and fun the many names parents come up with for that. My sisters always called it a "patty-puuty." (hard to spell exactly same as the pronunciation). I'm with you on dishes and the dishwasher. I do the same weird thing! :--)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading about your day, even though it sounds really hectic and difficult to balance work and kids (I have no kids, just work), it seems like your efforts on both sides definitely pay off! Your kids are absolutely adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is Carter in your bedroom? For some reason we kept Evie in our room for like 5 months (she slept in a rock n play in our closet!). It's so magical when they finally figure out how to sleep without you helping out!

    It's a whirlwind, for sure--and I definitely don't even attempt to drink coffee until I'm away from the kids (when I was at home this meant I had to wait until 10 for nap). But your kids are beautiful and you're so good to play all those roll playing games with Madison!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I can really say is wow... that is one busy day. And I think this dishwasher affliction is more common than originally thought... I hate running it half-empty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter is like that too. She likes to sleep with her face very close to mine. I have to tilt my head up because I have this weird thing about inhaling someone's breath. I loved reading about your day. It brings back memories of when mine was a baby. Thank you for sharing! Love the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Childless me finds it entertaining how many of these Day in the Life posts involving children also involve Frozen. I realize the parents mentioned in those posts may not find it quite as entertaining :) So much waking up! Whew, I'm tired just thinking about it. And poor Carter...I didn't even realize babies can get acid reflux.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was so cute and funny. What a busy day, but your kiddos are beyond precious. OK, add me in to dishwasher thing, but mind are rinsed first. And I don't believe that kitchen sinks are to used for anything except rinsing dishes. Never to hold dishes. Certainly not dirty dishes. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The idea of Carter taking an hour and a half on a 6 oz bottle is cracking me up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved this. Sounds like you had many fun moments.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your dinner sounds delicious. Love the cute kid photos! Your description of full-time college professor and a full-time mom sounds about right.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yikes - I got to 8am on your schedule and was already exhausted! I don't know how you do it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember long, long days like that. You'll never be so needed again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember long, long days like that. You'll never be so needed again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wait, I thought the whole point of a dishwasher was to HIDE the dirty dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have you tried essential oils on his acid reflux?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful kids!! :) Sounds like a busy but lovable day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I remember those days! My children are old enough now that I can even remember them with some fond nostalgia. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness. That's a lot for one day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved reading about everyone's day but I do get exhausted just thinking about being that busy when I see days like yours! Lovely kids!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Man, those two are just adorable. But wow, I'm not sure how I would manage with interrupted sleep like that. That's a lot :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!