29 November 2009

Sunday Salon: Lucky Seven

Weeks Reads

This past week I've finished four books and three short stories:

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
The Bro Code by Barney Stinson
Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood by Marjane Satrapi
Cinnamon by Neil Gaiman
I Cthulhu by Neil Gaiman
How to Talk to Girls at Parties by Neil Gaiman
Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton

The ones I've reviewed - obviously - are linked. It was an excellent week as I enjoyed all I read, but it's a toss up as to whether Cat's Cradle or Ethan Frome was my favorite read.

Currently Reading
Feminine Mystique: I haven't touched this book in quite a few days, and I don't think I'll be picking it up again any time soon.  I am just too far removed from the exigence; the consistent repetition of what are to me obvious insights is too much for me.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep:  This is another book I can't seem to get in to.  But I'm not sure why.  The novel seems like one I should be loving, and while I'm reading, I don't have a problem with the style or plot/characters/etc, so why do I never want to pick it up?  Anyone else read this and have any advice?

Whom God Would Destroy: The author, Commander Pants himself sent me this book, and I am just thrilled.  I actually haven't started reading it yet, but I have plans to start today.

Challenge Update


Click on the pretty picture to the right if you'd like to see my spreadsheet listing books for challenges.  There are two sheets: one for ongoing challenges and one for completed challenges.

100+ Challenge: 105/100  FINISHED!
The Dream King Challenge: 13/12  FINISHED!
Sookie Stackhouse: 6/9
SciFi Challenge: 1/8
101 Fantasy Challenge: 0/12
Unlock Worlds Challenge: 5
Women UnBound: 1/8
18th and 19th Century Women Writers: 0/2
YA Reading Challenge: 0/25, starts Jan. 1
GLBT Challenge: 0/4, starts Jan. 1
Flashback Challenge: 0/6, starts Jan. 1
TBR Challenge: 0/12, starts Jan. 1
Books to Read Before I Die: 0/10, starts Jan. 1
100+ Challenge: 0/100, starts Jan. 1
Rory Gilmore Project: 38/244 read; only 5 reviewed

My challenge lists aren't even close to being finalized, so if anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear them.  I hope everyone has a happy reading week.

5 comments:

  1. That is a serious list of challenges! I need to get on the stick and commit to the 2010 ones. I almost need to sit down and strategically figure it out! I have a running list sitting here right next to my computer! My Xmas book will be included for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you keep track of your challenges! I haven't used google docs for anything yet but I should really try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about The Feminine Mystique; I read it several years ago and although it was a little tough going at times, I found it to be worthwhile as a historical document and to remind me of some things that are still so true about women and society. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I am just too far removed from the exigence; the consistent repetition of what are to me obvious insights is too much for me."

    I hear you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandy - Strategically figure it out?!?! Tell me how this is done!

    Jenny - I just did that and I'm hoping it helps keep me organized.

    Marie - Maybe I need to take it slow and not think about finishing it in any sort of time frame.

    softdrink - I'm glad I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!