28 February 2010

Sunday Salon: No Fun Title

What has the past week been for me you might ask?  Well, actually you probably wouldn't ask that, but I'll tell you anyway.  It has been a non-stop mess of work and domesticity, and hence I've been struggling to find time to read.  I was able to finish The Ask and the Answer, and now I'm trying to not think about the long wait for the third installment.

I'm also going to blame my lack of a creative title on my completely practical and overly busy week.

Weeks' Posts

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld
The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness
The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness

Just two weeks ago I read Sarah Water's Fingersmith, and now I've seen the movie too.  Just wonderful.

Have you ever noticed that sometimes the songs in movies are just a bit too appropriate for the situation?


Currently Reading

Right now I'm on page 380 of 507 in David Ebershoff's The 19th Wife.  I have been reading this book for the past week in between grading, teaching, and interviewing applicants for two positions at the college. I'm hoping I can finish it today as I am completely intrigued by the plot, plots actually, and very much enjoying the experience of reading this unique book.

9 comments:

  1. Hope u r enjoying The 19th Wife; I do want to read that book...enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed your review of Fingersmith the movie! I'm sorry! I'm glad you enjoyed it. You are right on, it would be impossible for a movie to capture the delicate nuances of the book, but it was great to watch just the same! I am feeling your pain on the reading front. I haven't had ten minutes to sit down and freaking read, and it is driving me crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My week was pretty busy too, although I managed to finish The Fellowship of the Ring. I really enjoyed your reviews of Uglies and The Knife of Never Letting Go this week, I have to say.

    The 19th Wife? For a moment, I thought it was related to The Twentieth Wife, but then I saw the author, heh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes title just isn't important. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diane - I actually just finished it, and I loved it. You should definitely read it as soon as possible.

    Sandy - I just watched it last night and made a spontaneous post, so no worries on missing it! Isn't it sad when life gets in the way of reading?

    Clare - Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed my reviews. That is just so nice to hear.

    Amanda - Sometimes the muse needs a holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really thought The 19th Wife was good - and so thought-provoking. And a perfect choice for you to finish up and review as Women's History Month begins!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved The 19th Wife. Plots is definitely right. At times I had to go back and re-read to keep track. The ending I found confusing though. Hope you enjoy the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My best friend loved The 19th Wife and I have it but now I just need to find the time to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rhapsody - I very much enjoyed The 19th Wife. Are you reading anything interesting for Women's History Month?

    Bree - It is an excellent book. I read it straight through but I can definitely see how a re-read would be beneficial.

    Lola - You definitely should find the time! It's a good read.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!