18 April 2010

Sunday Salon: Challenging Challenges

Challenges are the wonderfully motivating, constantly intriguing, mildly frustrating bane of my reading existence.  I love them as they introduce me to new books and new bloggers, but good mary keeping organized is not exactly my cup of tea.  I sign up for them, and lovingly and painstakingly put together a list of books, and then I go all spontaneous with the actual reading.  So far, it's worked for me, but blogger lord help me, I can barely remember which ones I've linked in my challenge post and which I've put on the actual review page and when do they stop...And of course, I seem to sign up for the lowest level and then the minute I finish it, I decide to up my participation level to the highest.  It's a sickness.

So here's where I'm at with my challenges...as far as I can tell...

Sci-Fi Reading:  9 out of 8
Women UnBound: 10 out of 8
GLBT Challenge: 11 out of 12
Read the Book, See the Movie:  5 out of 10
Once Upon a Time: 7 out of ?
Hogwarts Reading Challenge: 67 points
Graphic Novels Challenge: 9 out of 10
TBR Challenge: 5 out of 12
Books to Read Before I Die: 1 out of 10
Flashback Challenge: 5 out of 6
Take Another Chance:  7 out of 15
Young Adult Reading: 16 out of 25
18 and 19 c. Women Writers: 1 out of 2
World Religions: 6 out of ?
42 Challenge: 14 out of 42
101 Fantasy Reading: 6 out of 12
100+ Reading: 45 out of 100+
Sookie Stackhouse: 7 out of 9
Non-Fiction Five: 0 out of 5 (hasn't started yet as far as I remember)
Rory Gilmore Project:  I need to reorganize here to figure out where I'm at....

Reading Resolutions:  I'm not doing to shabby with my resolutions.  My resolutions were:
  1. Read 100 books:  I'm almost half way there so I don't think this will be a problem.
  2. 50% or more "worthy" books:  I'm currently at 60%
  3. 10 non-fiction books:  Only at 4, but the Non-Fiction Five will certainly help with this one.
  4. 10 non-fiction personal essays:  I'm definitely not doing so hot here with none read yet.
  5. Review 75% of the books I read:  Only 2 of the 45 books I've read have not been reviewed.
  6. Read 3 TBR books for every 1 I buy:  I'm not positive on the statistics here but I'm not doing too too bad. My BLOB score is at -268, so I'm pretty happy.

In total, I've read 45 books so far this year, and of those, 37 have counted towards challenges. I've made my way through 10,450 pages. It's definitely shaping up to be a good year.

So how are you guys doing with your challenges?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

In other news, I'm going to give up on the Banned Books Challenge.  I don't have the time to promote it and it seems there are very few of us interested anyway.  If anyone would like to take over I could send them the blog content and the such not.  Email me if you are interested.  If not, I'm just going to go ahead and delete the blog.

10 comments:

  1. Lordy, you have a load of challenges going there! I have the same issue with challenges. I put so much time into them at the beginning of the year, and now I've completely gotten off track! My biggest problem are review copies that I can't say no to. Argh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Trisha! Ironically I'm talking about challenges in my Salon today too, except I just dropped all but a few of mine. Very soon I will actually have only 3 challenges left on my list, & two of those I've already completed, they're just 10+ or 12+ challenges so I can keep adding to them all year. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was doing really well. So well I started a new one myself:

    http://www.chrisbookarama.com/2010/04/daphne-du-maurier-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Between you and Amanda, I'm feeling a little guilty that I chose today of all days to start one :P Mine are working well for me because I forced myself to learn to take it easy. If I finish them, yay. If not, oh well :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. 45 books so far is a lot! Not to mention you are doing awesome with your resolutions and challenges. I am envious :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are doing a great job! Like others, I've learned to take it easy with challenges. I'm going to review mine in June and drop any I'm not happy with.

    As far as the Banned Book Challenge I think it's fine if you let it go. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I am not very good either at challenges, even my own! This year I tried to sign up for ones that fit with what I actually read, like romance and historical fiction. My reading resolutions....ha-ha-ha not so good. I have the books I said I would rad, but then I get offered books I want to read, and like the book addict that I am, all hell breaks lose. It's a viscious cycle.

    You seem to be doing well. And keeping track. That can be difficult, I agree. Banned books sounds interesting, but for me it would have to be next year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sandy - I have a more difficult time reading my ARCs than completing the challenges for some reason..

    Amanda - Love them or hate them, challenges are still always on your mind, aren't they?

    Chris - You evil temptress! I saw that and I'm definitely considering joining.

    Nymeth - That's the attitude I take now. I'm not going to die if a challenge goes unfulfilled. At first it felt like that, but I've learned how to ease up. :)

    Lola - Thanks! It's not often I have people envious of me, so how cool!

    Gavin - I'd say that's a healthy attitude to take towards challenges. And June seems a good time to do it.

    Jenny Girl - Hahaha! See, I think the reason challenges work for me is that I am more interested in reading older books than new ones, so ARCs and the such not just don't hold the same appeal for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love challenges, and I love reading books for them, but I also don't worry if I'm 'behind' or don't finish one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eva - Now that the newness is over, I've taken the same attitude. Reading should be about fun!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!