09 June 2010

BBAW: The Eclectic Five

Last year was my first go-round with BBAW, and I quickly fell in love.  As a new book blogger at the time, it was a wonderful way to get more involved in the community, to meet people and to really get a feel for what it was all about. And the fun, the amazing quantity of geekish fun!!! Take the week off from work, give the kids to the grandparents, and tell the spouses they need to feed/entertain/clean up after themselves. Now that I've peaked your interest, head over to the BBAW site and sign up immediately.

This year you have to nominate yourself for an award in a niche category if you want your blog considered (last year others nominated you).  While many people have to consider and ponder which category their blog best fits, mine was easy. Best Eclectic Book Blog. One word from the title of my blog is in the category name.  No brainer.  My problem came when I had to choose just five posts.

Choosing five posts to highlight the eclectic nature of my reading is difficult as many more than five categories would be needed to classify my books. But rules are rules so I'll refrain from putting up a list of like 100 posts... In this selection we have a classic, non-fiction and fiction, GLBT, a graphic novel, the real and the supernatural, YAL, a historical and a contemporary setting (and a mixture of the two), gravitas, the ridiculous, the heartrending and the gut-busting. 

The Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman
Fingersmith by Sarah Waters
Badass by Ben Thompson
Paper Towns by John Green

On a side note, these are all excellent reads, so those of you who don't care about BBAW Awards can check out the reviews and then go buy the books.  Happy Reading!

*On a side, side note: Sorry for the double post today.*

12 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm glad you're signing up. And what else could you sign up for but eclectic?? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. True about this being the perfect niche for you! Hmm, I was thinking of signing up for this category but your reviews blow mine away, lol!! I may need to pick a different one... haha! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very glad you're signing up and can't wait to revisit some of these posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They don't have a Best Eccentric Blog category? :-) I'm glad you nominated yourself. Your blog is definitely one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely a good category choice for you and a great selection of posts. You know I wish you all the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is it BBAW time again? Wow ... that was fast. I'll have to sign up. Despite all the personal problems I was having that time last year, it was an enjoyable week and a distraction from all that was going on then. And I met so many good bloggers through it.

    I feel weird about nominating myself though. But I'm sure I'll get over it! HAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love BBAW -- despite the critiques of it, I think it's such a great recognition of bloggers and what we do. I'll probably be applying in the nonfiction category -- I just have to figure out which posts to share. I hate that part!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amanda - Exactly! I didn't even really look at the other categories.

    Jenny - Nonsense! Your reviews are awesome.

    Andi - Thanks! I hope you're signing up for BBAW too.

    Stephanie - Ha! I'd probably fit better in the eccentric category.

    Melissa - Thanks! I hope you're signing up for BBAW!

    Jenners - I agree that it came up fast. I feel weird nominating myself too, but I figured why not? Everyone has to do it.

    Kim - I think it's great too! There's just always naysayers. I had to limit my post selections; I decided just from this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL--yup, pretty electic range of books/posts! I think you definitely fit well within the "eclectic" category. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!