06 July 2010

June Movies: Not the Best Month


Splice
A woman who has mommy issues. A man who has horniness issues.  And a product of genetic splicing who has too many unnecessary mutations.  I just hated this movie and so did my three theater companions. The hubby and I had a case of the giggles throughout, and I'm pretty sure the film wasn't made to be a comedy. Oh, and the female lead reminded me of Julianne Moore, and ever since Blindness I just can't stand her.

Gamer
Gerard Butler's looking pretty buff in this movie.  Okay on to something of substance.  The film's premise is fantastic, but the delivery was lacking depth. The characters have no backstory and no clear motivations or personalities, and yet their foundations are ripe for exploration.  Seriously, there is this streak of genius running through the film, but it's neglected for superficial sex and violence.  This could have been fantastic but it's like they left the film in the hands of a twelve-year-old boy.

Law Abiding Citizen
Gerard Butler movie number 2 of the month. In this film, Butler plays a man whose wife and child were murdered, and the main culprit was let go in exchange for testifying against his partner. After the set up, people die in some seriously nasty ways, individuals question their complicity in a corrupt system, and shit blows up. The film divides its time between displaying over-the-top violence and questioning the justice system which means it spreads itself rather thin. I, however, enjoyed it, and felt that while the director may have been confused as to his purpose, Butler and Foxx still entertained.

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
This is a strange tale with two men fighting over souls through the presentation of choices in a world of pure imagination.  I think. It's hard to say what the story really was about..... but the visuals were stunning.  Then of course, Heath Ledger morphs into Johnny Depp into Jude Law into Colin Farrell which is a unique - and rather hot - concept despite its rather macabre motivation. As an entertaining flick, I'm not a fan; but as an acid-trip art form, I enjoyed it.

True Blood: Seasons 1 and 2
I have to say that just like in the books, Sookie annoys the crapola out of me even while the story entertains.  I keep going back for more, and now I'm sad to wait so long for season 3.  I guess I'll get my fix by reading books 8, 9, and 10.  And may I just say that I am disturbed by my fascination with Eric - hello hotness.


And there you have it, a rather disappointing month in movies, but some mucho hotness in my TV on DVD.

12 comments:

  1. I would have to agree with you - bleh. Luckily, July will be saved by the release of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo on DVD. In fact, it might save the whole summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked Law Abiding Citizen too. One of my co-workers was saying how it would be good for all attorneys to watch that to sort of see things from the family's point of view. It was so sad though. =(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to check out "True Blood."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandy - I'm hopeful about July. I'm excited to see Despicable Me and Inception. I haven't read TGwtDT yet, so I'm not watching the film; but I really should read those books....

    Jenny - I bet it would be an interesting watch if you are involved in the justice system.

    Jenners - Yes, you should. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boyfriend and I watched the first season of True Blood, but have been waiting for the second one to come out (and the Netflix line to go down). I go back and forth on how much I like it, but it's addictive enough that I want to keep reading. I haven't tried the books though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim - Just like the books, TrueBlood reels you in, and even as you are rolling your eyes at yourself, you have to keep watching.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't seen any of these. My June movie watching was blah too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stacy - Bad month for movies. So far July is a bit better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't see too many movies this June. I'm spending today, tho, lying in bed with the flu and flipping channels through a ton of movies! Right now is August Rush, just saw 28 Days (w/Sandra Bullock) and Stage Coach was earlier. Hate to be sick but love the chance to watch movies all day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Care - Being sick stinks, but like you, I do like the free tv time. :) I hope you feel better soon, and find some good movies while you're sick.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Eric from True Blood, too! I didn't begin to like him until the 2nd season...and now he's totally stolen my heart. I'm really not a Twihard at all but I love the True Blood series and I hope to read the Charlaine Harris books one of these days.

    I saw Gamer, too, (the bf made me...I really owed him for all the girly stuff I make him sit through) and it was terrible!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Allie - Eric is yummy...better with the short hair. The books are good fillers if you are in a reading slump or just can't decide which book to pick up. And Gamer was really really bad; great premise, horrid execution.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!