29 November 2010

Book Review: The Odyssey Books 19-24


Plot Summary
When last we left Odysseus, he was in his own home disguised as a beggar, bearing the brunt of numerous insults from the suitors who are systematically trashing the place and running through all the goodies while trying to win Penelope's hand in marriage. Can it get any worse? Someone spending all your money while trying to hook up with your wife? Bad.

Odysseus and his son, Telemachus have a plan though, a bloody plan which gets carried out here in the last section of this epic book. First we have to get through Books 19 and 20, however. Penelope and Odysseus (as a beggar) have a bit of a chat where he lies about seeing Odysseus on his travels. Penelope is all "he's never coming back and I just want to die". Instead of just killing herself though, Penelope makes a plan for how one of the suitors can finally win her. Her plan? She will marry whichever suitor can string Odysseus's bow and fire an arrow through a line of axes.

Now in Book 21, we find that no one can bend the bow to string it because they are all weaklings compared the one and only Odysseus. The Big O, of course, manages to string the bow and fire it through the line of axes, finally revealing himself for who he is as Telemachus takes his place along his side.


And then we have a huge string of killing in Book 22. Suitor after suitor falls to Odysseus and Telemachus; arrows through the throat, spikes through the gut, it's awesome. To top it all off, Odysseus has the maids who've been a'whoring (or possibly being a'raped) carry the bodies from the house and clean up all the blood; and then, he has his men and Telemachus kill them. Naughty girls die nasty deaths. Reading The Penelopiad did give me quite a different outlook on the whole situation though, which colored my reading of this section.

Once the dirty deed is done, Penelope finally gets her dearest wish - to see Odysseus. But, as she is a wise woman, she tests him first, making sure he is who he says he is; after all, it's been twenty years. Once formally reunited, the two get their freak on, have a long chat, and fall asleep.

Now this is where the story should end; there seems to be absolutely no reason for the 24th book. It begins with Achilles and Agamemnon discussing their deaths and then the suitors arrive as well to discuss how they died. Back in reality, Odysseus heads off to see his father, Laertes, and along with Telemachus, the royal house fights off the families of the suitors they decimated. Athena and Zeus intervene though to bring peace to the land. It's seriously anti-climatic to me.

Excerpts from when Telemachus was a complete and total ass to his mother:

The Set Up: Penelope is quite rightly admonishing the suitors for being rude to the beggar (Odysseus in disguise). She wants him to have his chance stringing the bow; not for marriage, but for some nice clothes.

What Telemachus Said: Mother...my father's bow - no Achaean on earth has more right than I to give it or withhold it, as I please. Of all the lords in Ithaca's rocky heights or the islands facing Elis grazed by horses, not a singly one will force or thwart my will, even if I decide to give our guest this bow - a gift outright - to carry off himself. So, mother, go back to your quarters. Tend to your own tasks, the distaff and the loom, and keep the women working hard as well. As for the bow now, men will see to that, but I most of all: I hold the reins of power in this house.

What Penelope Thought: Astonished, she withdrew to her room. She took to heart the clear good sense in what her son had said.

What Penelope Should Have Done: Smacked that little shit right across the face.

The Set Up: After waiting for Odysseus's return for 20 years, Penelope takes her time deciding if this man who has come into her home is really Odysseus.

What Telemachus Said: Oh mother...cruel mother, you with your hard heart! Why do you spurn my father so - why don't you sit beside him, engage him, ask him questions? What other wife could have a spirit so unbending? Holding back from her husband, home at last for her after bearing twenty years of brutal struggle  - your heart was always harder than a rock!

What Penelope Said: My Child...I'm stunned with wonder, powerless. Cannot speak to him, ask him questions, look him in the eyes...But if he is truly Odysseus, home at last, make no mistake: we two will know each other, even beter - we two have secret signs, known to us both but hidden from the world.


What Penelope Should Have Said: Come here you little shit so I can smack you right across the face.

There are many instances like these throughout the play, but the close proximity of these two events really brought the absolute disrespect of Telemachus for Penelope home to me. He is so horrid to her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Echoes of Man is my month-long sojourn into antiquity. I plan on entering the ancient world and basking in its glory for the entire month of November.

During this time, I will be reading and reviewing literature of the time and posting about related topics. If you have anything you would like to add - a review, an informative post, etc. - let me know. I would love to have you join in!
~~~~~~~~~~

Echoes of Man Image from ~darkmatter257 at deviant art
Odysseus killing the suitors, Gustav Schwab, Sagen des Klassischen Altertums (1882)
Clipart.com 

11 comments:

  1. Telemachus was a jerk! He didn't seem like much of a hero to me. I agree about the 24th book. Total letdown! Nothing really happened besides the suitors complaining that they were killed and a few more people dying in Ithaca. It should have been left out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee, Telemachus must take after his father!

    And I agree about the ending...it was a total dud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL!!!! Yes, I definitely wanted to smack that little shit a few times myself. I couldn't believe when he started talking about the hardening of Penelope's heart. But, I gotta say that Penelope should have stepped up more than once herself--I give her props for chastising the suitors for not bringing her gifts, but that seems to be it for her! You've read The Penelopiad, right? Excited to read it now!

    So glad you guys readthis with me! It was definitely a fun journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please rewrite the epic and make Penelope a kick-ass face slapper.

    Please.

    No, really.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Cass--that book would totally rock. Also, I have a teenager, so I can totally relate to wanting to do a little snit-smacking myself (on the inside of course...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, Telemachus was a sullen teenager throughout. I liked it when Odysseus smiled after Penelope mentioned the private signs by which she would know her husband. Nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. He's really horrible to her, isn't he. That bothered me too, as well as a whole load of other stuff! It's been fun though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. "a'whoring (or possibly being a'raped)" -- I'm so glad you mentioned that because I felt they were unjustly punished for something that was probably forced on them. I can't wait to read the Penelopiad!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kristi - I agree completely. It was set up to elevate Laertes, but as he was really a nonentity throughout the book, it's not like I was invested in his outcome.

    Jill - Exactly. It was something of a let down.

    Tribute Books Mama - No problem!

    Trish - You should definitely read The Penelopiad; it was such an interesting perspective. I'm really glad we did this too!

    Cass - Ah, if only I had the time and talent, I would love to!

    Vicky - :) Any parent who says s/he doesn't want to smack their teen around from time to time is a big fat liar!

    Sylvia - Exactly!

    Joanna - I loved the book, but pieces of it stick out as extreme annoyances.

    Shelley - It's a tough call as to whether they were nasty little sluts or pitiable serving girls. The Penelopiad is a great balance for the book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree -- what was the point of book 24? Nothing that should have been resolved (like Odysseus' supposedly mandatory trip with the oar for Poseidon?) was resolved, and we just got to see Odysseus being cruel (again). Poor Laertes.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!