21 December 2010

GLBT Challenge 2011

Title: GLBT Challenge
Host: Amanda
Timeframe: 2011
Suggested Reading List

My Goal: 20 Books

Instead of picking books about GLBTQ issues, I thought I would read books by GLBTQ authors. I am sure I'll still read GLBTQ-focused novels, but I want my emphasis to be on the authors. So here are some possibilities:

Chuck Palahniuk
Oscar Wilde
Truman Capote
Jeannette Winterson
Marcel Proust
Willa Cather
Allen Ginsberg
James Baldwin
Gore Vidal
Gertrude Stein
James Baldwin
Emma Donaghue
Ann-Marie MacDonald
Alan Ball
Augusten Burroughs
E.M. Forster
David Levithan
Gregory Maguire
Sarah Waters
Sappho
David Sedaris
Tennessee Williams
Dorothy Allison
Alison Bechdel
Ivan Coyote: Missed Her,
Catherine Ryan Hyde: Jumpstart the World,
Cheryl Rainfield: Scars
Daniel Allen Cox: Krakow Melt

Books focused on GLBTQ characters but I'm not sure if the author is GLBTQ
Kathleen Winter: Annabel,

Books featuring (but not focused on) GLBTQ characters in a positive light
Clare, Cassandra: City of Bones, City of Ashes, City of Glass, Clockwork Angel,
This Girl is Different by JJ Johnson


Most of these guys are sitting somewhere on my shelves. If you have any other suggestions, I am particularly interested in GLBTQ books written by GLBTQ authors.

*Note: I do not know any of these author's personally, so identifying any one of them as GLBTQ is the result of information found on various websites (primarily Wikipedia which makes me feel something of a hypocrite for telling my students it's not a credible source). If you know that an author listed here is not GLBTQ, let me know.

8 comments:

  1. Great goal! I had no idea that Chuck Palahniuk and Ann-Marie MacDonald fit into the GLBT label. I've debated reading Fall on your Knees by MacDonald.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I believe you've got enough to choose from. Enjoy! I see you have an interesting title from Emma Donoghe up right now. Happy Reading Challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This should make for some interesting reading.

    I may sign up for this challenge again. I'm planning on looking over the challenge postings after Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this approach to the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you haven't read Fun Home by Alison Bechdel, I highly, highly suggest it. Yes, it's a graphic novel, but beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cozy - Gay Lesbian Bisexual and Trans literature. The challenge encourages reading books by or about GLBT people.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!