25 December 2010

Merry Christmas!


A Very Merry Christmas to all of you!

If you are looking for something to do after the eating and unwrapping and hugging and the such not, here are some of my favorite Christmas movies!

White Christmas
The Be All, End All of Christmas Movies

Starring Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye alongside Rosemary Clooney and Vera-Ellen, White Christmas follows two war buddies who team up as entertainers. Soon they pair up with a sister-act to save the lodge run by their former commander.

The dancing, the singing (Bing's voice is like warm honey), and the spectacle are all tremendously entertaining, and if you have not yet seen this film, you should run out now. Right now.

Holiday Inn
Watch it Right After White Christmas

Again we have Bing Crosby (He of the Yummy Voice) and this time he is paired up with Fred Astaire (the real Lord of the Dance). Bing's character, Jim, retires from the world of song and dance when his partner, Ted, decides to get married. But when that engagement goes awry, Ted tracks Jim down at his inn and starts weaning his way between Jim and his new gal.

I have watched White Christmas and Holiday Inn so many times that they occasionally bleed into each other I must admit. Both of them are spectacular. And both have the Bing.


I realize that I am probably not telling you guys anything you don't know, but just in case there is someone out there who has not yet watched these films, I wanted to give a big poke.

18 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas!! (ps - I almost used that same picture in my Christmas post. :D )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas! Hope you're having a blast in Mexico!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas Trisha. I haven't seen either of these... maybe one of these years :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas to you, too. I can see that you prefer the classic films. My favorite Christmas movie is A Christmas Story. Even though it is set in some 20 years before I was born, it's loosely based on my childhood.

    I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit this, being Jewish and all, but White Christmas is one of my favorite movies. Though Holiday Inn is up there as well. Have a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas Trisha to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There IS someone out there who hasn't :P I hope you had a great Christmas, Trisha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. White Christmas is definitely the perfect Christmas movie. My college roommates showed me the light on that one. Hope you had a very merry Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amanda - It's a wonderfully classic picture!

    Jill - I hope you had a great Christmas!

    Jill - I was most definitely having a blast, a warm, tequila blurred, sandy blast.

    Amy - Ah! Go, now, rent, watch.

    James - Definitely a Christmas classic!

    Simcha - I think that being Jewish and loving those Christmas movies is fine. :) I'm not religious at all and I love them.

    Mystica - Same to you!

    Nicole - Merry Christmas (a day belated) to you!

    Ana - Yikes! You really should pick them up and have a mini-marathon.

    Megan - Now you had a great college roommate!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you had a very merry Christmas! I love White Christmas but somehow I've never seen Holiday Inn...must rectify that soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cass - I think I like Holiday Inn better than White Christmas... I hope you had a great Christmas too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope you had a fantabulous Christmas!!! The card you send was wonderful! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Andi - Glad you liked it! I'm on an every-three-year Xmas card sending spree. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. White Christmas is my very favorite one, too! I cry every year: "We'll follow the old man...." I hope you're having a wonderful Christmas weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Merry Christmas to you too Trisha!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope you had a terrific Christmas, Trisha. I love old movies, so why haven't I watched either of these?!!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!