08 December 2010

A Year of Feminist Classics

Title: A Year of Feminist Classics
Hosts: Amy, Ana, Emily Jane and Iris.
Timeframe: Month by month in 2011 

As of right now, I can't promise I will be participating every month; after all, I was really going to try to not buy so many books this year. My bet though is that I'll be on board at least half the time just for the joy of it. Savings account be damned.

January: A Vindication of the Rights of Women by Mary Wollestonecraft and So Long a Letter by Mariama Ba
February: The Subjection of Women by John Stuart Mill and Harriet Taylor Mill
March: A Doll’s House by Henrik Ibsen*
April: Herland by Charlotte Perkins Gilman*
May: A Room of One’s Own by Virginia Woolf*
June: God Dies by the Nile by Nawal Saadawi
July: The Second Sex by Simone de Beauvoir
August: The Woman Warrior by Maxine Hong Kingston*
September: The Beauty Myth by Naomi Wolf*
October: Ain’t I a Woman? by bell hooks
November: Gender Trouble by Judith Butler
December: Sister Outsider by Audre Lorde

*own it

I am getting very excited for this one. So much so, that I actually put a few I do not own onto my Christmas list. :)

10 comments:

  1. That is quite the commitment! Good for you for going for it. I have banished challenges from my life this year. I think. We'll see. I'm playing hardball right now, but the temptations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way as you. Had all intentions to curb my challenges and book buying but this one has really pulled at my feminist strings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are some amazing books. I've read all except the Saadawi over the last twenty years--and _Herland_ was my very favorite, I think. Perhaps I'll join in for -God Dies by the Nile-.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a great challenge, but I'm really going to limit myself this year since we're doing another year of War Through the Generations, Civil War this time. Good luck, and I look forward to your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay! I'm so glad you're joining us for at least some of the months, Trisha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like this...challenge? Event? Readalong? and hope to also participate in at least some of the months!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am very happy that you're joining us :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woooooo!! So glad you are excited :D Thank you so much for sharing about it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't do challenges due to non availability of books but I am certainly noting down some of them. I have read two of them - the Ibsen which I did for A level literature in school and the Woolf which I read last year so thats' something!

    Having a giveaway on my blog - please do come and enter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was going to sign up for this one but I was nonplussed by some of the choices. Maybe I will just go ahead and participate for the books I am interested in.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!