08 June 2011

5 Best Books...During a War

Cassandra of Indie Reader Houston hosts a weekly meme called 5 Best Books where participants list what they feel are the five best books on a given topic. This week's topic is about books which are set during a war. I don't read a lot of non-fantasy war-based books, so the list is going to be a bit different.

First up, three war books that have really stuck in my memory as awesome reads:
  • My Brother Sam is Dead by James and Chris Collier: YAL about family on opposite sides during the American Revolution
  • When God Looked the Other Way by Wesley Adamczyk: Memoir about the forced exile of the Poles to Russia during WWII
  • Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut: SciFi semi-autobiographical about WWII and time travel
And here's one of the worst best - as in I really hated them but apparently I should like them.
  • The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane: Hated it in high school. With a passion
And finally, one I know I will adore if I just buckle down and read the thing:
  • The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien: Short stories set in Vietnam

What war books do you think should make the list?

14 comments:

  1. Good list. I would also add add the recent novel Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great list, and If there were more slots available, I would echo the above poster and add Matterhorn and also Unbroken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loathed Red Badge of Courage. Blech!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, I think I have a "worst best" in every category. Love that label.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was pretty sure someone would have mentioned The Book Thief before me, but apparently not :P

    I haven't read your other two favourites, but I adored Slaughterhouse-Five. Adding them to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so agree with you about Red Badge. Ugh!

    Do read The Things They Carried! It's a wonderful collection!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes yes yes, read the O'Brien. Such a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to buckle down and read THE THINGS THEY CARRIED as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to read The Things They Carried as well. I keep hearing about it but never quite get around to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. lol I just posted on RED BADGE OF COURAGE today. I didn't like it either and wanted too...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember liking Red Badge when I read it forever ago and enjoyed Morning by Howard Fast when I read it a few years ago. My husband loved Catch-22, but I hated it. But he listened to the audio, so maybe that helped :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember liking My Brother Sam (if I recall, it was pretty sad right?) and All Quiet on the Western Front.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read My Brother Sam is Dead WAY back in the day. Other books around war I enjoy:

    The Things They Carried
    All Quiet on the Western Front
    Summer of my German Soldier (one I also read way back in the day)
    And, as Nymeth mentioned, The Book Thief

    ReplyDelete
  14. All Quiet on the Western Front, definitely - so sad. The Cruel Sea by Nicholas Monsarrat is fantastic. I really enjoy Alistair MacLean's war novels, but I wouldn't claim they're particularly well-written. Requiem for a Wren by Nevil Shute is set both during wartime and afterwards, and which I really like; likewise his A Town Like Alice is partly set in Japanese-occupied Malaya. And Summer of My German Soldier is lovely but sad (I cried at one point).

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!