26 July 2011

Eat, Drink, and Beat Mary

A conversation had while playing poker on facebook:

Adam: ok…now …whats the meaning of life?
Trisha: 42
Chuck: eat sleep be mary
Adam: hahaha
Chuck: or beat mary
Chuck:  nah j/k
Chuck: time to go take care

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? He wrote “or beat mary”? WTF?

I am convinced that he realized he said something super stupid and that's why he suddenly had to go. But what sort of world is it where a person even has such a horrid thing pop into his head?

Or am I wrong to get so upset? Am I interpreting it incorrectly? Am I interpreting it properly but over-reacting?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

New one:

Cameron Randy Ortan: hi
Cameron Randy Ortan: talk
Cameron Randy Ortan: you are all gay
Larry: then i guess your in the right room
Trisha: if i am gay, are you going to freak out....
Cameron Randy Ortan: **** off

So, uh, apparently people on facebook poker are complete idjits.

6 comments:

  1. You are not wrong to get upset—being socialized as Western women, we've been taught to second-guess ourselves. Go with your gut.

    I think there is a difference between something horrible popping up in your head and simply not having the filter or social awareness to keep it in your head (or say it with massive qualifiers in an environment with people you know well).

    It's rude, it's unfunny, and it's a product of rape culture. Tell him off next time, if you feel comfortable doing so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree with Clare. Where the heck is that filter?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely think it has to do with your relationships with the persons at hand. For example, if the first convo was coming from a pal and our norm is to be snarky or say horrid things for shock value or whatever other norms might be in our relationship then *shrug* a comment like that wouldn't cause me to blink. BUT a complete stranger in a chat room where intonation alongside personality aren't there? Uh wtf.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe he meant 'beat Mary at poker'?? Or am I giving the guy too much credit??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um... Just came over to say hello. permission to just say hello and move on? Or something. Anyhoo.

    :)

    (I like all of these comments, btw.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I go with idea that many of the people playing facebook poker are idjits, morons...the men anyway...

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!