13 July 2011

Reading Update

So I am still rather MIA at the moment - obviously. I am sure by this point I have lost a great lake full of followers, but alas my real life stresses have really taken me away from the blogging world. I hope to get back into the swing of things in late August when school starts up again (and when my first trimester is up, seriously minimizing the stress).

Despite my bloggy absence, I have still been reading....well, primarily re-reading. As I mentioned in my last post, I re-read the entire Sookie Stackhouse series, and ended up reading books 10 and 11 which were new-to-me. As always, I have a love-hate relationship with the series which, this time around, has been seriously affected by my watching the third season of True Blood on DVD.

What the hell happened to that show? It has strayed so far from the books that I am developing a sort of nervous tick when I watch it. It's not like a few things were left out or a few new details put in - it's more like the show is set in an entirely different world. Oddly enough this has increased my enjoyment of the books, believing them to be much better crafted and much more entertaining than the show (despite the dirty dirty sexiness of Eric and Alcide).


Hubba, hubba. But still, their combined sexiness (which makes me want to lick marshmallow creme off their chests) cannot make up for the travesty of Sophie Anne Leclerq, the WTF of Tara, the Bill-Sookie relationship hullabaloo, Sam's new family life, the ridiculous fairy scene, the myriad other shifts, or the OMG contradictions (as of the last episode I watched, Sookie should now be a vampire). Will I still watch? Err,, yeah probably...did you look at those chests? But I am going to work very, very hard on disassociating the tv show from the books.

Back to reading...

I just re-read books 6 and 7 of the Harry Potter series to prepare for the bittersweet agony of Friday night when I will watch the very last thing which will ever be new in Harry Potter aka the final film. Seriously, after this film, the Harry Potter phenomenon is over; I will have read or watched everything new in that world. Sad. Very sad.

Does this freak out anyone else? (Question can relate to the loss of HP or this picture below)


This has been the summer of series from Nora Roberts to Charlaine Harris to J.K. Rowling. In that tradition, I think I am going to re-read Christopher Paolini's Inheritance Cycle (Eragon, Eldest, and Brisingr). The final book in the series, Inheritance, comes out November 8 (I think). While I would normally wait until nearer the release date to re-read the first three, I'm a bit impatient....

Anyone else reading (or re-reading) any good series this summer?

21 comments:

  1. Real life stuff is way more important than blogging, anyway. =)

    I've done a bit of re-reading... 'The Body Finder' and 'Desires of the Dead' because I'm doing a guest post relating to them. And probably a few others that I can't remember.

    The difference between show and books reminds me of The Vampire Diaries, where the show is SO crazily different from the books. I read the first book and I really hated it (not because they were different, but just because of the book itself), but I adore the show.

    Oh man, Harry Potter. It doesn't seem real that this is the last movie! I'm sure I'll be bawling on Friday when I go to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh rereading series can be fun! Yes both HP things freak me out, and yes I think you are right on the Nov 8 date :) I've missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eric and Alcide are my two favorite men on the show. So sexy... I haven't read any of the books so I don't share your annoyance with the show being such a departure from the original story line of the books. But I can tell you I can't get enough of the show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, sorry! I can't relate to much if anything. But for some reason, I'm starting finally to think about getting started on that HP phenom thing.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only thing left new for HP for me after this movie is Harry Potter World. That's one reason I'm glad I won't be going before this movie, though I do really wish I was at Leaky Con right now...

    Interstingly, rereads have gone completely off the grid this summer for me. Instead, I'm reading a bunch of new books in series I didn't think I'd continue, mostly YA, which is odd since I've read almost no YA this year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not rereading but I am indulging in a spate of detective stories and fantasy epics. Stuff I really should be embarrassed to admit I'm reading, but I'm having so much fun.

    Take as long a break as you need. Your readers will find you again when you come back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't fell guilty about being MIA. You have a lot on your plate right now, so it makes sense to put blogging on the back burner!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry, you're not losing me that easily. I'll be here whenever. Ah yes, the end of HP. I did actually get teary-eyed when EW did a recap of all the movies and features on all three of the stars. At least I can go to the Harry Potter Universal section to get a fix if I need one. The kids and I will definitely be there on Friday (maybe Thursday at midnight?) to bid them farewell.

    No re-reads for me, but I have been having a freaking ROCKING summer with my books. More five stars than I would ever have imagined. Yeah baby!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have not started the Sookie Stackhouse books yet, and have been wondering if I have been missing anything with the series, and it seems that I have! Those dudes you posted are delectable.

    I am also sad about the end of the Harry Potter universe. I am planning on taking my kids to see the movie sometime very soon, and then when it is over, I may try to read the books again.

    Don't feel bad about not being able to blog. Life gets in the way sometimes, and things happen. There are still people waiting for you, whenever you happen to come back!

    ReplyDelete
  10. To echo what someone else said, real life is much more important than blogging! Have you seen those new car comemrcials with adult kids lamenting that their parents only have 19 friends on FBook but the kids have like 300. Meanwhile the parents are out living life.

    Anyway, congrats in the pregnancy and hope all goes well. I have no kids but my friends say it gets better after the first trimester.

    Readin has been hit or miss lately, and am looking forward to kicking out some review books and getting back to my own stuff.

    Take care and chat with you whenever :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You won't be losing this follower just because you have real-life stuff going on. I don't roll that way! =O) As long as you're taking care of yourself. That is what's important!

    I have not read the Sookie books yet. I do love the show and I have a new appreciation for Eric this season. I used to adore Bill, but now I hate him. LOVE Alcide! What a hottie! I do think that I will like the books just as well, or better, going by what you said. I heard Tara is not in the books and that alone will make me blissfully happy!

    I can't believe that HP is coming to an end. *Sniff* Seems like yesterday they were those little kids and now they're grown. Time flies! I'mg going to see the movie tomorrow.

    Hope you continue to have a lovely summer!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't worry about being absent, Trisha! We'll all be right here when you're ready to come back.

    I wish I had my copies of HP here, because the excitement around the last movie has me dying to read the whole series again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Trisha, you do you girl!

    And I'm so with you re: Sookie Stackhouse Series vs. True Blood. I sit there going, WTF frequently. The only change that I freakin' love is that LaFayette is a continuous character.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am not much of a re-reader but I am considering going back to some of the HP books - it has been awhile since I have read any of them and I need a refresher.

    Good to hear from you! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never seen True Blood, but I do appreciate the visuals. I never got into the HP movies (heck, I never read the last book) and have no plans to start.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad you're a little it back :) I just saw the last HP movie yesterday and now I'm fighting the urge to re-read the entire series again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is very strange that there will not be any new Harry Potter anything anymore. The only re-reading I have done this summer is the Harry Potter series in preparation for the movie. I am thinking I need to bust out Nora Roberts' Dancing Upon the Air trilogy for a re-read. Happy summer reading! :)

    -jehara

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really need to start watching True Blood. Hubba hubba is right!!
    And seeing those photos of the HP kids like that is just freaky! They devoted a huge chunk of their lives to those movies.

    By the way, I'm just back from vacation and trying to get caught up with everyone's blogs so I'm just leaving one comment for everyone or else I'll never get caught up!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Trisha, I'm sorry you've been going through a tough time. Obviously, I've ben MIA too. And yes Eric and Alcide are sexy as hell -- I'd love to see Sookie and Alcide hook up for some very explicit naughtiness.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I do want to read the Sookie series someday. That pic of Harry & pals makes me feel old! Due to our little addition we are so behind in movies. We still have to see part 1.
    I hope that by the time you read this the first trimester will be over and you'll be feeling better and more secure. I had terrible morning sickness for 6 months, but it was great after that :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!