27 June 2011

Quick Update

While I am still not active around the blogosphere, I have finally started reading again! Yay! Granted, I'm not exactly picking up Dostoevsky here.... In the past week, I have read eleven books, a ridiculous amount for me. What books have I been reading you may ask? Six Nora Roberts' books and the first five Sookie Stackhouse books. All eleven are re-reads (or re-re-re-re-reads), and all eleven are (not)guilty pleasures. I guess I was just in the mood for some mindless, muscley, swoony, sexy romance.

I won't be posting formal reviews of these reads. I've already reviewed the Sookie books (Dead Until Dark, Living Dead in Dallas, Club Dead, Dead to the World, Dead as a Doornail), and I think I've read the Nora Roberts books too often to have anything super intelligent to say. I did want to drop a few notes though:

Nora Roberts
I read two of Nora Roberts series (minus one book) in two days. The first was her MacKade Brothers series which includes four novels starring each brother individually - Rafe, Jared, Devin, and Shane. In all four books the brothers are tough, trouble-making, women-drooling kind of men who eventually fall in love and marry women who are perfect for them. After having many bouts of mind-blowing sex of course. The second series I read was the Donovan Legacy, three books each focusing on one of three magical cousins (a witch, a healer, and a seer). The primary plot point in these books is the love interests' disbelief in the existence of magic.

Charlaine Harris
The Sookie Stackhouse books are entirely engrossing and oddly frustrating. As I said in past reviews, Sookie sort of annoys me, but I really enjoy the stories (and the men, oh my god the men). I only read the first five books, but I fully intend on reading the rest, culminating in me finally reading the last book to come out Dead in the Family! For those who don't know, Sookie is a telepathic bartender in northern Louisiana whose life changes drastically when she starts dating a vampire.



Currently I am trying to decide what's hotter: Roberts' novels or Harris' novels.... Anyone have any opinions on the matter?

10 comments:

  1. I would vote for the Harris books...even though I've never read the MacKade Brothers series by Roberts...might have to give those a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. heheh, I've never read anything by Nora Roberts OR Charlaine Harris, though I tried to read the first of those vampire novels at one point and didn't make it past the first chapter. That's not to say I don't have my own comfort reading (now how many times have I read Harry Potter???). :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read a lot of a Nora Roberts-far more than I care to admit! My mom owns almost ALL of her novels and is an avid romance reader, so whenever I need a trashy fix, I borrow from her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been away for three weeks so I'm not sure why you've been away! Sick? On vacation? Going to have to investigate. Anyway, I have no opinions here because I've read neither! Shame on me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you! Sometimes some good ole re-reading is exactly what it takes to comfort us and get us back into the swing of things. I've read and enjoyed Nora Roberts, but I haven't read any of the Charlaine Harris novels. Want to, though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom loves Nora Roberts, and I think she has read all of her books. I just recently got her into the Harris books as well. I can't say which books are hotter, as I haven't read any of them, but the Roberts' books sound really good.

    I am glad to hear you are back in the swing of things with the reading again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's funny- I actually AM reading Dostoevsky this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read anything by Charlaine Harris. I'll take a look.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never read any Nora Roberts. My grandma was always pushing them on me and I kind of avoided them as she was always trying to get me to read these awful bodice rippers. Maybe I should have listened to her though!! I've read two Sookie books but haven't fallen in love like some people. I heard the latest one is not so hot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd have to say that Harris's books are hotter than Roberts. The sex is a lot more gratuitous and raunchier.

    I do enjoy Roberts' trilogies, The Donovan Legacy being one of my favorites of hers. I have never read The MacKade Brothers so will need to look that one up.

    -jehara

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!