11 August 2011

Booking Through Thursday: National Book Week

The prompt: It’s National Book Week. The rules: Grab the closest book to you. Go to page 56. Copy the 5th sentence as your status.

I wasn't going to do this, but just for fun I followed the instructions, and I had to write up the post.

My answer:  There was no danger of loss.

The sentence is from "A Summer Tragedy", a short story by Arna Bontemps featured in Black American Short Stories, the anthology I am using for my Introduction to Literature class this fall. As some of you know from early posts this summer, I am struggling with loss, or rather stressing over the possibility of it, so this sentence was too perfect for me.

8 comments:

  1. Very portentous sentence. I can't wait to hear what the book is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loss is a hard thing to deal with, the potential often worse than the actual.

    Aine
    House Millar - BTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got a short one: "Fun, fun." It's from Harriet The Spy which is on the hold shelf behind me at the library. I wish I had read this one as a kid - at least I got around to it at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting.

    here's mine:

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/08/booking-through-thursday_11.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, I had to go back through the posts I might have not read while I was on vacation, just to make sure I didn't miss anything. You are still pregnant, yes? I know you were worried. Please tell me everything is OK!

    I like the "teaser". Waiting for more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How did I miss the fact that it's National Book Week??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mine is: He continued, "The third quarter of hell is, can you guess?"

    It's from a book by a new author that I'm working with called (S)Mythology by Jeremy Tarr. It's a modern day fairy tale that is wry and whimsical, and tackles life...death...and the Underworld. The book is super cute and has illustrations by artist Katy Smail, which really bring the main character Sophie to life. It's a great book that I think your readers would really like!

    You can read the first three chapters and check out the illustrations at www.smythology.co.uk or check out the book on Amazon here: http://amzn.to/Shardcover.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!