02 October 2011

Pottermore and Me

I love Harry Potter. The books are fantastic, and I can (and do) re-read them often. The plot is engaging and intricate, the characters unique and complex, the writing conversational and engrossing, and the themes important and universal. The movies...well, you know, they are....there and...okay. I honestly think I loved the books too much to garner much appreciation for the film. I felt every detail the movie was missing even though I know it is impossible to include everything from the books in the movies. I have not yet been to the theme park, but you can bet your buttons that I'll be there as soon as money, work, and baby allow. I figure Sandy, Heather, or Jenny will accompany me (and maybe suggest a nice place to stay...like their couch...j/k!). I'm pretty sure they all live at least within driving distance....

When I heard about Pottermore - from you lovely bloggers I might add - I was excited. My mother said it best: "Finishing the seventh book was like losing a friend." I was happy that there would be some new way I could experience the story. After qualifying for early entry, I waited quite impatiently to be let in.

Now, I am finally playing around, and I must say I am really pleased with how things are shaping up. It's been so much fun going through book one. A taste of what you can do:
  • Explore various scenes from the story: You see a slightly animated illustration of a place from the story, and you can zoom in twice to get more detail (see one short of Diagon Alley below). Certain objects you can click on and collect. Others you can click on for a closer look, like letters, newspapers, signs, etc.
  • Read more about stuff: Characters, creatures, places, etc. have pages with more information on them. Some just have a quick summation; others are more fully fleshed out than they were in the book (new material peeps!); and some even have a section revealing Rowling's thoughts or her notes from creating the story. Awesome.
  • Win House Points: Once you are sorted, you can win house points by collecting objects from inside the scenes or from creating potions. That's right, I'm making potions. We will also be able to duel, but that's not up and running quite yet.

I'm sure I'm not hitting everything here, but those are the basic cool things to do. And of course, it was awesome getting my wand and being sorted into a house. I am in Ravenclaw, which really isn't a surprise; although based on the questions, I'm thinking it was a toss up between Ravenclaw and Slytherin. My wand is 10 inches long, unyielding, made from larch, and stuffed with a phoenix feather...if you were curious.
Screen capture from Rhii Sparks

Despite how much I'm loving it, I will say that I am getting a bit bored. Right now, we only have Book One to play with, and I made it through in just a few days (I may have gone a bit crazy for those days). Now, the only thing for me to do is make potions and refresh my ingredients supply, but since you can only make one potion at a time, and those suckers take at minimum 80 minutes, I'm getting bored. And if they don't give me a way to earn more galleons, I won't be making too many more potions anyway because I'll run out of money.

Perhaps if the Wizard's Duel fun was up and running I'd be good to go, but what I really want is the rest of the books! Last I saw, Book 2 isn't coming out until 2012. I honestly am unsure of what I am supposed to do until then.

For those on there, am I missing something?

For those not yet there, I can't wait to see what you all think!

And everyone be sure to let me know your name, so I can add you to my friend list!

10 comments:

  1. LOL I actually have a Pottermore post drafted to go up this week. :D Great minds think alike!

    I don't do much on there anymore either. I'm sorry to hear Book 2 won't be out until next year! I was hoping that they'd put up the rest of the books once it was no longer in beta. I thought that was just a beta thing. Sigh. I guess it's okay since there are tons of people who still haven't been able to log on to the site from the beta yet, despite getting their emails. If those of us who have been there are getting bored, we'll spend less time and others will be able to get on. I was talking to Melissa (from Book Nut) and her daughter yesterday, and her daughter, despite being on Pottermore for weeks now, still hasn't been able to get sorted! She must be catching it at just the wrong times. :/

    I cant' wait until we can duel! They had that up at the beginning before i got on and i want it back. I'm still wondering how the heck people got 5000 points or even 10000 points!! I'm sure it's not just from making potions, and there's only so many things you can collect! It's got to be from dueling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, absolutely!! =)

    As for Pottermore, I really have trouble getting into computer game type things so I'm not sure if I'd like it too much right now. =/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still waiting for it to be available to everybody. Sigh, I'll have to wait a little longer I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Pottermore has passed me by (and probably a good thing if my family wants to eat). But the books and movies are almost an everyday part of our lives. And yes the theme park! Anytime girl, anytime. You just come on down. I know Universal like the back of my hand. Life isn't complete unless you have had a butterbeer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda - Great minds is right! I can't wait to read your thoughts!

    Jenny - LOL! I just know I would have so much fun with all of you guys.

    Jules - I think it will be released to everyone soon!

    Sandy - You can bet I will let you know the next time I go to Florida! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for writing up about this! I haven't signed up yet because I think it might turn into a giant time suck... but it does look like fun. I'll have to get into this winter, perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not signed up for Pottermore yet, but I've been wondering what it's like! Thanks for the report. If I do end up signing up, I'll let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kim - I actually don't think it will be much of a time suck if they release the books slowly!

    Erin - Definitely let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to accompany you around Orlando and the theme park! I haven't yet had the chance to check out Pottermore, but it's neat that you have and that I can live vicariously. It sounds like it would be a fun way to spend a few afternoons, and I am eager to see what else they do with it. Very cool post today. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll wait until my son and I start reading the books together. Hopefully more will be up by then. I can't wait!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!