03 October 2011

Reading Plans for October

I had a semi-productive day regarding the blog yesterday, so I'm feeling optimistic enough to lay out some goals for the month. I finally got my review copies and reading commitments organized by designing and filling in two new spreadsheets (I do so love spreadsheets). One lists all of the review copies I have received; the other is an actual schedule of reading including both specific due dates and suggested timelines to catch up.

I had started a schedule already here on the blog, but the spreadsheet allows me greater freedom to add details. Plus, sometimes doubling up the to-do list helps my procrastinating soul. And tripling up can help even more... What's coming this month? Well, I hope to read the following:
  • The Monk by Matthew Gregory Lewis: I'm reading this one for the Classics Circuit which is featuring Gothic Lit this month. I am almost finished and absolutely loving it!
  • The Call of Cthulu by H.P. Lovecraft: Jill from Fizzy Thoughts chose this one for Dueling Monsters, the annual face-off between scary books hosted by Jill herself and Heather from Age 30+ (who chose The Island of Dr. Moreau, which I will definitely read if I have time).
  • Ain’t I a Woman? by bell hooks: The Year of Feminist Classics has this scheduled for October, and since I have had this on the shelves for quite some time, I am really hoping I get around to it!
  • Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs: I received this one from the publisher, and it's been languishing on the shelves due to my sudden absence from the blogging world. If the other blogger reviews are to be believed, I will not regret taking the time to dive into this one.

So those are the books I hope to get to this month. Four wouldn't be so bad, but I am already reading:
  • The Outlaw Bible of American Poetry: I've posted about this one twice already and I'm not even 1/4 done. While I am definitely enjoying this journey into poetry, I can definitely see this taking a back seat to the other reading.
  • Readicide: How Schools are Killing Reading and What You Can Do About It by Kelly Gallagher: Reading and education are - obviously - important to me both as an avid reader and professor. I firmly believe that the way grade school and high school teaches English is antithetical to true learning and really harming students as far as collegiate education. I'm hoping this book will offer some new insights.
  • Ghosts by Henrik Ibsen: We are covering this play in my Intro to Lit class, so I will be reading and re-reading it as well as researching the book and the author.
Powering through books is not my only bloggish goal for the month. I want to get organized again, start scheduling posts in advance, return to daily blog reading, update my stats spreadsheet, and get back to a comfortable feeling here on the blog.

And of course, I fully intend on taking part in the Readathon! The 24 Hour Readathon is one of my favorite blogging events. I've participated three times. Obviously, I won't be able to stay up the full 24 hours (apparently that's frowned upon when you are pregnant), but I'm still really looking forward to it. My big plan this year is to just read. I usually participate as a reader, a cheerleader, and a mini-challenge host. This time around I am cutting back and focusing plain and simply on plowing through some books. My goal, as of right now, is to get 10 hours of reading in. I figure I can also put in about 5 hours of blogging/commenting. Then I shall sleep.

So those are the primary plans for October here on eclectic / eccentric. What are your big plans for October?

16 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're loving The Monk. That was one of my favorites last year! I'm looking forward to your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a really productive blog day yesterday as well, which was nice because that happens so seldomly lately! I've never been able to manage a spreadsheet for review copies, even though I've always wanted to since I constantly forget books. What does yours look like?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you're joining us for the bell hooks! I can't wait for my copy to come in at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to make a spreadsheet as well, and try to get caught up on review copies. It seems to be a losing battle over here with them, and perhaps an organized strategy might prove to be beneficial. I am hoping that I can also join the readathon this time around. I have never participated in one before, and would really love to do it this time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got Miss Peregrine sitting right here on my kitchen table, waiting its turn! I'm hoping to at least do a semi-participation in the readathon. We always have busy Saturdays but maybe just in the late afternoon and evening...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amanda - I actually just finished it about three minutes ago, and my overall judgment = FANTASTIC! What a great, sensational, gothic, pageturning read.

    Kim - My headings include: Title, Author, Source, Date Received, Date Due, Date Reviewed, and Notes. :) I may tweak it as I go, but for now it's working.

    Ana - I'm hoping to start reading it this week!

    Heather - The readathon is so much fun! I hope you can join in. I definitely fight a losing battle with review copies. I've stopped accepting most because I feel so guilty about the ones I have stacked up!

    Sandy - Run away! Run away to a hotel. Pretend you are sick. :) The readathon is too fun to pass up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol
    Love the spreadsheet thing especially since I play with most of the time at work. I have a love/hate thing with spreadsheets.
    As for October, I'm reading Mysteries of Udolpho and it's a chunkster with small print. I'm hoping to have it finished in time for review at the end of the month. I'm sure i will but I get nervous anyway.
    Not sure how to write the review though because it is such a massive book. I have a few thoughts percolating though. and I have tagged a few passages. Trying to be semi-professional :)
    Looking forward to the Monk review. Sounded like something I would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could not schedule myself if my life depended on it. It is all on the fly! It is amazing I can keep my blog going when I think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never gotten the hang of spreadsheets. I hope you enjoy Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have some great goals! I hope you get to Readicide. It's a book that's been on my tbr list forever now. Good luck on your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just got a copy of The Monk from PBS. Soooo excited and it came at such a perfect time. And also, can't wait to hear about Readercide. I thought about picking it up, but was hesitant.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so stoked for the readathon!!! I wish it were here already.

    -jehara

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm participating in the readathon as well. It's going to be great fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Somehow, I have become scheduled to the eyeballs. I have Leeswammes Literary Blog Hop plus the Classics Circuit over the next couple of weeks (and some ARCs) - then it's time to read up for the German Literature month in November...

    ...I need more time :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just finished Moreau and Cthulhu. They were both good, and both pretty darn monstrous -- it's a tough competition!

    My October plans are (a) finish up as many reading commitments as I can, and (b) participate in the READATHON! I'm hoping b can help with a :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love spreadsheets too. Unfortunately, it does not improve my productivity! I'm also looking forward to the readathon.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!