01 January 2013

2012 Reading Report

My reading changed rather drastically this year with the arrival of the one and only (and totally beautiful and awesome) Madison. Finding time to read - especially to the extent I used to - became quite impossible.

THE BIGGIES
Books Read81 Pages Read16082
New Books65 Re-reads15
Fiction70 Non-Fiction10
I am certainly not reading as much as I used to - approximately 40 books less per year. That doesn't really bother me or surprise me. 

THE AUTHORS
Male35 Female43
Alive68 Dead12
New To Me42

Yet again, my male-female ratio is pretty evenly split despite the fact that I make absolutely no effort in this area. And as always, I am reminded that I need to read more Dead Authors. I tracked publishing dates this year - excluding the children's books, and I found that I read books primarily published in the 2000s. Since this year included more contemporary young adult literature than I normally read, that makes sense. YAL is just so easy and fast to read; I tended to pick one up whenever I had time because I knew that time was limited.

THE BOOKS
Age Adult33 YA22 Middle/Children24
Format Novels41 Short Stories25 Plays3

Graphic Novels2 Misc.8eBooks19
Source Bought35 TBR Shelves17 Borrowed2

Free26






I've never read this many children's books, but then again, I've never had a child to read them to. I think this will be the last year I count children's books towards my total; it skews the results too much. I did a much better job this year reading books I already owned. Yay me! This could still be much, much better though as I have enough unread books on my shelves to last me the rest of my life.


Overall I am pretty satisfied with my reading stats this year. Next year I will not be tracking near as much; I'm trying to cut back on the businessy portion of blogging (minimal tracking, no challenges) so that I can have more time to just read. :)

I hope everyone had a wonderful New Years Eve and a great New Year.

7 comments:

  1. Recording children's books was a weird one for me. I still recorded any I just read by myself (chapter books only) and then started putting them in my spreadsheet again when Z and I started reading them together. It always seemed like cheating to record picture book pages though so I never have.

    It still seems like you got a lot of quality reading done. Good job and here's to another good year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did great. I used to average about a hundred books a year but the new job gives me so little time. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Given that you had a major new time suck in your life (no offense Madison!), you done good!!! FYI: I'll be doing our tag game in the next week or so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WAIT--do you mean like Goodnight Moon? Shit...that would make my yearly count like 1,000! :) If it makes you feel better, I read 37 this year but that includes half audio. Just too hard with le bebe. Good luck in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year, Trisha! Fluctuations in our reading patterns are inevitable as we face life changes. I don't let it bother me either, and as long as I'm still enjoying my reading it's all good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My numbers dropped in 2012, too, and I don't even have a beautiful and awesome excuse!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year! Madison is adorable. Happy reading and no tracking in 2013.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!