03 February 2015

Top 10: Feminist Classics I Want to Read


Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. To learn more about Top Ten Tuesday or see the list of future topics click here.

Top Ten Books I Can't Believe I Haven't/Want To Read From X Genre: Feminist Classics

Way back in 2011, I participated in A Year of Feminist Classics, and it was AWESOME. I wasn't able to read everything on the list, and I always regretted that. The following list contains some of the books I missed from the 2011 reading list, some from the 2013 list, and some I've just been meaning to read.

The Second Sex by Simone de Beauvoir
The Woman Warrior by Maxine Hong Kingston
The Beauty Myth by Naomi Wolf
Borderlands by Gloria Anzaldua
Beyond the Veil by Fatema Mernissi
Stone Butch Blues by Leslie Feinberg
Sister Outsider by Audre Lorde
How to Be a Woman by Caitlin Moran
Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay
Gender Trouble by Judith Butler

8 comments:

  1. I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't read a single one of these...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right!?!? That's how I felt when I was putting the list together!

      Delete
  2. So many good-looking books! I loved The Beauty Myth and How to Be a Woman. I'm in the middle of Bad Feminist, and I've always wanted to read The Second Sex, Borderlands, and The Woman Warrior!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for linking to the lists! I desperately need to dig into some feminist classics, so this is such a great resource. Were there particular titles that you'd recommend getting to first?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only read Sister Outsider and Bad Feminist, and they're both fantastic. I really want to read more feminist classics, but I'm not quite sure where to start!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic idea for a topic this week!! I have to admit that a lot of these I haven't yet read (or haven't read in their entirety), and I really should. Let me warn you that Stone Butch Blues, while being excellent, packs an emotional punch. Worth it, but best to go into it knowing that, I think! Love this list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Second Sex is on my Classics Club list, and I believe my boyfriend just downloaded Stone Butch Blues (yay feminist dudes), so I may have to bug him about getting my hands on it. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How To Be a Woman...READ IT NOW! And okay, so it's the only one on your list that I've read, but still...READ IT NOW. Or, better yet...listen to it. Moran narrates, and she is hysterical.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!