25 January 2011

Weekly Geeks: Bring on the Ladies

This week's Weekly Geeks has four very intriguing questions:
  • What are your feelings about literary prizes regarding WHO gets selected? Do you think literary judges tend to be biased more toward men? If yes, why do you think that is?
  • Tell us about some of your favorite books written by women.
  • Do you tend to read more books authored by men or by women?
  • What are your thoughts about the label "chick lit?" Do you think it makes a difference what we call women's fiction? Are books written by women more likely to be labeled "light," or unimportant? 

I am clearly supposed to focus on one of the questions, but in the interests of overachieving....

Literary Prizes and Male Bias
I do not have enough background knowledge to answer this with any sort of authority; however, my gut reaction is that statistics are on the side of men winning because I think there are more male literary (in the definitions employed by awards) authors than female. I don't necessarily think that the results are due to bias, just odds. And I do have a problem when people freak out about women not winning, claiming sexism when it may be skill. I do not think, at all, that gender should come into play when deciding on the literary merit of a book (you know, since books don't have any reproductive parts). I do not think men should be excluded or awards should be "more inclusive" unless the work merits the attention. If a book written by a middle-aged male is "better" than the book written by a female, then the male's book wins. Now the definition of "better" does cause some serious issues, but that's for another discussion. And I realize that this opinion may not be a very popular one, but to be clear: if the book written by the female is "better" than the one by the male, then it should win (obviously). It would be perfect if the judges had no freaking clue who wrote the book they are judging (impossible, but hey, I can dream can't I?).

Male v. Female Authors
I, quite fortuitously, am at about 50% each for my male v. female author ratio, which I think is awesome. I like the idea that I read about equally. Last year, I read 58 books by males and 69 books by females (and quite a few authors who may freak out by the binary listed here : D )

Chick Lit
To me, this term describes a particular style of book, and it makes no difference whether a male or a female wrote it. For example, Nicholas Sparks is chick lit to me. I even think the term "women's fiction" is distinct from chick lit. And I don't think the gender of the author is any indication of the "heaviness" of the text.

Books by Women That I've Loved
This list could go on for an obscene quantity of time, so I'll try to keep it short:

"Literary" Favorites from the Last Few Years:

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell
Fingersmith by Sarah Waters
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
The Lunatic, the Lover, and the Poet by Myrlin A. Hermes

Great Female Authors that Pop to Mind (not necessarily "literary"):

Virginia Woolf, Suzanne Collins (Underland Chronicles), Margaret Atwood, Daphne du Maurier, Isabel Allende, J.K. Rowling, Dorothy Allison, Zora Neale Hurston, Shirley Jackson, Toni Morrison, Ayn Rand, Alice Walker, and Edith Wharton

Overall, I think women have contributed tremendously to the wonder that is reading, and I just wish that gender could take a backseat to the books (what's really important). It's sad that we still live in a time where the gender of an author has such an impact on the perception and criticism of a book. Maybe one day we can break free from this strange gender binary, so wrapped up in difference, and focus on a more inclusionary gender where we realize that the continuum that is gender does not create or negate skill in writing.

11 comments:

  1. I was surprised to discover, when I first started tracking this stat, that I tend to read far more female than male authors. Not planned at all, it just happens! Even this year, reading about 50% classics, I've still read far more women authors than men! I wonder how that'll change throughout the year.

    I agree that chick-lit is different from women's fiction, and frankly I think chick-lit is MEANT to be light. Just like cozy mysteries are meant to be light. There's nothing wrong with a little light entertainment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never really given it much though, and generally don't pay any attention to what gender the author is. Thinking back on the past few years, though, I can see an interesting trend in my reading pleasures. While the gender split seems to be about 60/40 in favour of male authors, I'd say my satisfaction level is probaby the reverse. There are a lot of books by male authors with which I've been content, but I seem to remember more books by female authors with which I've been genuinely wowed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really get into awards very much, other than making sure I know who the finalists and winners are. As a matter of fact, I would like this year to be more of an award year, where I pay attention to not only the books, but the judges and their processes as well.

    I found out this year that the majority of books I read are written by women, and though I really do like male authors, for some reason, I just naturally gravitate towards women authors. Some of the best books by women for me have been:

    Self Help by Lorrie Moore
    Fingersmith by Sarah Waters
    Forever Amber by Kathleen Windsor

    I also don't read a lot chick-lit, and kind of have a hard time taking it seriously. I consider it the whipped cream of literature, but I do really enjoy women's fiction, which I think deals with more mature and enveloping issues. I don't think I have ever really enjoyed a chick-lit novel, whereas I have really loved some of the women's fiction out there.

    Great questions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting topics. I've never noticed men getting chosen over women more for awards, so I don't have an opinion about that either. I also agree with you that Chick Lit is different than Women's Fiction. I guess I think of it as a subgenre of Women's Fiction in the same way that Paranormal YA is a subgenre of Young Adult Fiction. I would have to say that I probably read more books by women than men.... but now I want to go check my bookshelves to find out for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Half the time I think the people who judge the awards are on drugs. I have not fared well with award-winners. I like both male and female authors, though, and LOVE your list. I want to have Sarah Waters baby, I am so besotted with her work. Another excellent female author is Maria de los Santos. I think she may have been pegged as women's fiction, but she is so much more than that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been surprised with my ratio. Without intending, I've been pretty balanced at 50/50 for the past three years. I anticipate reading more classics this year so it will be interesting to see how (and if) the ratio changes.

    Also, I absolutely agree that there is a difference between chick lit and women's fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love love love your comment that Nicholas Sparks is chick lit!! Very accurate!

    And I think it would be fantastic if literary prizes were judged only on the content ... no author name provided at all. It would be interesting to see if things changed at all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This topic seems to have been a lightning rod of late - I don't know if there is gender bias in the selection of books for prizes but I prefer to measure the book by its content - if it is better than everything else out there, it deserves to win regardless of the author's gender.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for you for having such a good gender balance in your reading! I am nothing like that good about it -- I was looking through my reading from last year, and I read three books by women for every one book by a man. Awful! I need to be better about that this year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I generally agree with your answers and have one more question for you:
    Why is it that chick lit written by women is downgraded and chick lit written by men is elevated to the rank of (pop) fiction?
    I doubt we would find Mick Gayle or Sparks on the chick lit shelves of a bookshop. I have never read Sparks, but I have read a book by Mick Gayle and it is chick lit, except that the main character is a man.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Em - That is a fantastic question. Personally, I don't draw a distinction, but I can definitely see others doing so. Ah, the joys of gender.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!