03 June 2009

Take a Chance Book List

I'll add to this as I discover what books I'll be reading.

1. Random Book Selection: Experience and Education by John Dewey. I went for my profession on this one. The Education section in my home county Barnes and Noble is not exactly jam packed with relevant books, so I admit that I bypassed my first pick- which was something about parenting a school age children - and used my second pick.

2. Random Word: Amend. I found very few books with the word 'amend' in the title, but when I finally did find one that fit the bill, what a title it had. Some Advice to the People! Be Not Conceited, Beware of Humbugs, Hate Cant, Restrain Your Tongues, Amend Your Ways, and Hang Together! Published in 1847, this text is described on amazon.com as "With Sundry Other Odds And Ends Of Counsel, Loosely Appended To The Second Edition Of My Dog Brace, In Many Respects A Very Irregular Poem." I can not wait to get my hands on this book!

3. Birth Year Book: 1980. I had a ton of choices for this category, everything from Woody Allen to Salman Rushdie to Stephen King to Carl Sagan. It is actually very difficult to decide on one text from this list. Finally though, I decided to read one from the list which fit into another challenge I'm doing, The Chunkster Challenge, so I chose Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose.

4. Judge a Book by its Cover: The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. I must admit I went to my own shelves for this one, but I have soooo many TBR books. A quick glance through and I was hooked on this book though. The cover is so....simple. DONE AND REVIEWED

5. Phoning an Author: Dover. With Dover as the random last name, I found a lot of books published by the Dover publishing company, but then I came across K.J. Dover who writes on ancient Greece, which tickles my fancy as I teach Ancient and Medieval Literature. I am going to read Dover's book, Greek Homosexuality.

6. Public Spying: No Touch Monkey by Ayun Halliday. To clarify, the subtitle of this book is "and other travel lessons learned to late". I went to the Barnes and Noble Cafe to meet a friend and at one point looked up and saw an older man (60-70) reading this book, and thought - Oh wow, that old guy's reading a book called No Touch Monkey, too funny. My next thought was that it was perfect for the challenge.

7. Random Bestseller: 1955. I didn't even truly search the week's bestseller list. Once I saw the cover for Auntie Mame by Patrick Dennis, I was hooked and decided that it was the one. The subtitle "An Irreverent Escapade" is even better than the cover.

8. Lit Riff.

9. Poetic Review: Watchmen by Allan Moore.

10. Movie/Book Comparison: Auntie Mame. I'm not sure if this is acceptable, but Auntie Mame is also a movie. I would do Coraline, my second choice, but the film doesn't come out on DVD until July 21. If that's when I'm ready to do this portion, then Coraline it is, but if I get ahead of myself, I'm going with Auntie Mame. I ended up switching to Coraline.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Challenge Completed: September 28, 2009
Books Read: Auntie Mame, The Name of the Rose, Experience and Education, Some Advice, Watchmen, the perks of being a wallflower, No Touch Monkey, Coraline, Greek Homosexuality, Lit Riff

2 comments:

  1. Wow! You got some wild choices there! I love it! The "amend" books sounds just out there ... can't wait to see what you think about it! And yes .. of course you can read Auntie Mame and then watch the movie. Totally counts. I'm so excited by your list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jenners! I'm excited too; I can't wait to see what I get for the rest. All books are on their way to my house if not already on the shelf.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!