11 March 2010

A Low BLoB Score led to an Excessive Book Acquiring Spree

I was bad.  Really bad.  I put myself on a book buying ban which I completely broke on vacation.  I modified BLoB (Biggest Loser of Books) to help me moderate my book buying.  But then it happened.  I culled my shelves and donated 100 books to my local library, leaving me with a -422 BLoB score.  As my goal is to stay at zero, I took this to mean I could go crazy at Barnes and Noble.  I am weak.  Very weak.

But take a look at the goodies I bought!



Crossing Washington Square by Joanne Rendell just sounds like a book about me. Well, at least that's what Stephanie's review made it sound like.  A college professor who thinks contemporary fiction is worthy of teaching and romance novels are worthy of reading.  Excellent.


When I read Carrie's review of Beastly by Alex Flinn, I immediately thought it would be an great book for the Read the Book, See the Movie challenge.  Beauty and the Beast is a fascinating story, and I love the idea of updating it, setting it in modern times but maintaining the witchiness.  And Neil Patrick Harris will be in the film.  Enough said.  I love Barney Stinson.


Just the title alone is enough to get me going, but when Cara reviewed Gods Behaving Badly and suggested reading it "just to find out what skills are most highly-desired in the underworld", I knew I had to read it asap.  I love humor and I love the Greek gods, so I can't wait to read this.


While I am not breathlessly excited over the Sookie Stackhouse series, I still want to find out what happens to the Bon Temps crew, so I picked up book 8 in the series.  At least I think this is book 8.

My Reviews of the First Seven:  Dead Until Dark, Living Dead in Dallas, Club Dead, Dead to the World, Dead as a Doornail, Definitely Dead, All Together Dead


 I know, I know, I'm terrible for not having read this yet.  We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson has been on my list for quite some time.  I am not sure what review first put the book on my to read list.  The possibilities are endless: books i done read, things mean a alot, Fizzy Thoughts, Hey Lady!, and so many others have read and raved.  And yes, I'm a sucker and spent the extra money for this kick-ass cover.


The Surrogates by Robert Venditti and Brett Weldele is a graphic novel, and this edition includes all five of the originals.  I really liked the cover and that's how this popped into my hands.  When I read the inside spiel and saw words like 'cybernetics', 'era of the personal surrogate', and 'techno-terrorist' coupled with thematic terms like 'commentary on identity' and 'Western obsession with physical appearance', well I was hooked.


This one is all Ana's fault.  I kept seeing reviews of the Fables series on things mean a lot, and so when I saw it just sort of sitting there on the shelf, practically begging me to buy it, I figured what the hey.  I only bought the first, Legends in Exile, instead of splurging on the first three installments, which is what initially popped to mind.



Now, I have to be perfectly honest.  I didn't just buy books at Barnes and Noble; I also went a little nuts the other day on BookMooch, requesting 10 - that's right ladies and gentlemen, TEN - books.  Those titles are:

Ultraviolent Movies: From Sam Peckinpah to Quentin Tarantino by Laurent Bouzereau

The Books of Magic #1 by Carla Jablonski

The Zigzag Way by Anita Desai

Beyond the Curtain of Dark by Peter Haining

Six Great Modern Plays by Anton Chekhov

Two Plays by Edward Albee

By the Pricking of My Thumbs by Agatha Christie

Property of by Alice Hoffman

The Selkie by Charles Sheffield

Visit to a Small Planet by Gore Vidal

14 comments:

  1. I haven't read the Shirley Jackson book either. But the big thing to ask here is: which two plays by Albee?? The Zoo Story is one of my favorite plays ever! I've read it twice and seen it performed once, with Albee himself directly. Back when I was in college, Albee lived in Houston (at least half the year) and taught at my college every spring semester. He also worked at a nearby professional theatre that had two stages - the main auditorium and a basement theatre in the round. That last one is where he directed The Zoo Story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it's like dieting. You can only go so long, and then you can kind of binge out! I, for one, am quite sympathetic, as I'm sure all other book bloggers (and perpetual dieters) are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I think all the bans-on-book-buying nonsense just ratchets up the nerves and gives us a sense of guilt we don't deserve. I did the same thing for Lent and it just made me miserable. Good for you. And those are some awesome finds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gods Behaving Badly was in my top ten for 2009.

    I found you from Jennifer's Book Hop.

    I also read Augusten's Christmas book and loved the first few then stopped reading, I said I will finish this Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed Fables - but then I do like graphic novels. I hope you enjoy it. The series is great and it opens up a whole new world of reading.

    I found you through Jennifer's Book Blogger hop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amanda - The American Dream and The Zoo Story! Well now I'm all excited to read it!

    Rhapsody - You said it sister. I'm just as bad with dieting. I find myself capable of eating junior mints and pretending they have no calories.

    Marie - We should just accept our bookish love and run with it!

    MarceJ - Welcome to my blog! I am so glad you stopped by and are posting.

    WonderBunny - I'm looking forward to Fables. Welcome to the blog! Keep stopping by and posting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved crossing washington square!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Celebrate your weakness! Embrace it!

    There. I've just given you a reason to go buy even more books. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jenny - I'm excited to hear that; it makes the anticipation of reading the book that much better.

    softdrink - See I need more people like you in my life: to validate my weaknesses and help me justify spending loads of money on books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you did pretty good on BLOB. You gave away so many books. Fables and Gods Behaving Badly are two great reads.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey ... you cleared out a LOT of space ... I think your spree is justified!!

    And you'll love "Gods Behaving Badly." I ADORED it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Vasilly - Thanks! I needed the inspiration to finally get rid of some books.

    Jenners - Thank you for validating my spree!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just reviewed the second one in the Fables series today, and I can tell you that once you buy one...well, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  14. J.T. - I almost bought the second one at the same time, but the last time I bought the first two in a series simultaneously, I was burned...ended up not liking the first one. I'm pretty sure that will not be happening with Fables!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!