21 September 2010

Serial Confessions: Getting Oriented

When Carrie over at Books and Movies put up a post about the numerous series she's in the middle of, I got to thinking about how many series I have going and/or waiting for me on the shelves. I love series, primarily YA SFF series, and I like to read them back-to-back like some gigantic book you just can't put down. It really gets me going. Now, I don't often get to do this because I'm typically waiting for the next book to be published, but even then I have a tendency to re-read the first books in the series when the new one comes out.

Series I'm in the middle of:

Pendragon by D.J. MacHale
When Bobby Pendragon finds out there are multiple territories coexisting in separate space-time, connected by mysterious portals called flumes, he thinks okaaaayyy, and he promptly wants to go home. Unfortunately, Bobby is one of the select few capable of traveling between these worlds, and another traveler, Saint Dane, is determined to cause chaos in all worlds, destabilizing them so that he can easily take over.

I have read the first 8 books in this ten part series ( 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ). The last two, Raven Rise and The Soldiers of Halla, haven't come out in paperback yet, and that's what I'm waiting on.

Cirque du Freak by Darren Shan
Darren Shan lived a normal life, but one mistake changed him from a normal boy into a vampire's assistant. From that point on, he was lost in a life of blood, danger, and conspiracies. His primary foe is Mr. Des Tiny, a being intent on control, and one who is devious enough to set Darren's real life best friend against him in a fight between good and evil.

I've read the first 8 books in this 12 part series ( 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ). I have the remaining books waiting for me on the shelves, but I just haven't been overly interested in picking them up with so many other books up there with them.

Maximum Ride by James Patterson
Maximum Ride is a girl with wings, and she has been responsible for five other children who all have wings ever since they escaped The School. The result of genetic experimentation, these children are forced from their hideaway home when the School finds them. Now they are on the run and determined to find answers.

I am only two books in on this one (1, 2) and while I'm enjoying it, it's not a must-read for me. I think this is because each individual book doesn't carry the plot very far, feeling more like a chapter in a book than a book in itself.

The Gatekeepers by Anthony Horowitz
Matt made a mistake trusting his new friend Kelvin, and now he has to pay for it by working at the farm of some old crazy woman. It's that or jail. His new foster parent is more than she at first appears, as are the townspeople in Lesser Malling, and now Matt has found himself in the middle of a battle between good and evil. He should have chosen jail.

I've only read the first in the series, but the second is on the TBR pile.

Alex Rider by Anthony Horowitz
Alex Rider is James Bond for kids. He lost his parents shortly after his birth, and now 14 years later, he stoically accepts the news that his uncle, his only known parent, has also died. But that's not the only news to reach Alex. His uncle was apparently much more than a banker, and now Alex must join an elite spy unit to finish the job his uncle started.  He is thrust into a world of espionage, sent on undercover missions with neat-o gadgets and lots of action.

I've read the first two books in the series, but I only reviewed the first for some unknown reason. I have books 3, 4, and 5 waiting for me.


Septimus Heap by Angie Sage
This series follows the adventures of Septimus, the seventh son of a seventh son and hence a wizard. His story takes us from his origins, through his developing abilities, and into some wonderful political intrigue. Simultaneously, we learn about his adoptive sister, Jenna, heir to the throne.

I really, really enjoyed this series, but I don't have any reviews written as this was from those pre-blogging days (aka The Dark Ages). I've read the first four books in the series, and honestly I thought the series was over. Apparently though, there is a fifth book I have yet to get my hands on.

Everworld by K.A. Applegate
David, Jalil, Christopher, and April are normal kids, but Senna (girlfriend, friend, ex-girlfriend, and sister, respectively) is not. When she is suddenly snatched up by a wolf too large to exist, they are caught up in the struggles of a universe very different from their own. In Everworld, the ancient gods of Earth have created a universe in which they thrive, lording it over the human subjects they brought over with them; but an alien god is determined to destroy them all, and Senna holds the key to their salvation.

I've read the first six books in the series ( 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ), and I'm just waiting for book seven to become available on SwapTree or BookMooch. The series is out of print unfortunately, so it's a bit difficult to get my hands on a copy.


The 13th Reality by James Dashner
Atticus Higginbottom, Tick for short, receives a letter that sends him on a dangerous adventure. The letter begins a series of riddle-like clues that are all leading him to construct a picture of a world far different from what he's known, a world with multiple realities and it's all in danger from a rather eccentric enemy.

I read the first in the series, and while at the time, I didn't fall in love, I definitely enjoyed it, and it's sort of grown on me since. Perhaps it was the mood I was in when I read it originally. I will be picking up the second as soon as I can.

The Weirdling Cycle by Mortimus Clay
Trevor Upjohn's dreams are disturbing.  As he sleeps in his cot in Superbia, watched over by Guardians and bogeymen, he dreams of "home", a place he has been told is fictional, a word he has been told is dirty.  These dreams lead him to The Guild and begins his adventure. Because it turns out Trevor was stolen out of his bed by bogeymen.

I really liked the first book, and I can't wait for the second, but I have no idea when it is coming out.

Chaos Walking by Patrick Ness
Todd Hewitt lives in Prentisstown, a strange place where all the men can hear each others' thoughts.  They call this the Noise, an ever present stream of over 100 consciousnesses pouring out into the world and into the minds of the rest of the town.  And the women..well, there are no women.  When Todd was just a baby, all of the women in town died.  The cause, so they say, is the same virus that brought about the Noise. But as Todd's adventures take him further away from Prentisstown, he realizes he's been lied to, and that he can't escape the men of his town.

I love, love, love, the first two books ( 1, 2 ), and if I don't get my hands on book 3 soon, I may go insane. Yep, totally insane.

Sookie Stackhouse by Charlaine Harris
Ah, Sookie. I'm betting you know the premise to this series. Sookie Stackhouse, waitress and self-proclaimed dimwit, has a simple life until she starts dating a vampire. Then her life is overrun by vampires, were-animals, witches, fairies, and in general a lot of supernatural hullabaloo. Of course, she also is overrun by lots and lots of hot sex.

I've now read the first nine books in the series (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ), and once book 10 is in paperback, I'm there...despite the fact that I can actually feel myself rolling my eyes and getting stupider as I read these books.


Okay that should get you (and me) up-to-date on all of the series I'm currently reading. I clearly have too many going at once and should really start wrapping up some of them. After all, I have a whole bunch of series waiting for me on the shelves that I haven't even started yet...but that's a post for tomorrow.

18 comments:

  1. Sometimes you just feel like you live for series, don't you? I must admit, YA series have been a little disappointing for us. We listened to the first audios of Pendragon and Maximum Ride. Pendragon was OK; we would move forward if we ran out of other choices. Maximum Ride? Ugh - that is some awful writing. Personally, I want to get my hands on the Chaos Walking series. We also have The Purloined Boy on our shelves...didn't know that one was a series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a fun post! You've got me thinking of all the series' that I read..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in the middle of the Patrick Ness series too, as well as a few others. I like to space out books in a series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that a is a lot of series! I've been reading the Sookie books, and have the first two Knife of Never Letting Go books, but haven't read any of the others that you list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find myself reading more and more of only the first book in a series these days. I just haven't been interested in the rest of the books...

    ReplyDelete
  6. My kids have read almost all of the titles that you mention in your post, and they are particularly excited about the Maximum Ride books. I, on the other hand, haven't read any of them, but am looking forward to reading The Knife of Never Letting Go and it's sequels. I have heard that they are amazing books! Great roundup post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've had my eye on Septimus Heap and Pendragon, so it's nice to hear a good review. I'll have to check out Chaos Walking if it's that good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I started making lists of the series at the beginning of this summer because someone mentioned that she was forcing herself to finish a series each time she wanted to start a new one and I thought that sounded like a reasonable idea.

    My list is completely UNreasonable ::hangs head:: But I've started by listing out the books for each, because part of the reason that I stall is that I can't remember which one I read last without having it in front of me. I still have 11 series to detail out and then I'll be able to obsess in a more orderly fashion.

    But I just ordered a copy of the first Chaos Walking book, so maybe there's no hope for this addiction!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post.

    I'm surprised I enjoyed the Pendragon series quite as much as I did. Found it to be a very entertaining series.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sandy - I just love series when they are good. Being able to spend so much time with characters you love is one of my favorite parts of reading.

    Clover - I was happy to be inspired to look over all of the series books I have.

    Stephanie - I loved the Knife of Never Letting Go; such a wonderful read.

    Amy - I used to be good about finishing a series before moving on to the next, but I'm terrible these days!

    Amanda - I'm iffy on some of these series, not particularly inspired to keep reading.

    Heather - You should definitely read the Patrick Ness series! It's amazing.

    Erin - All three of those are wonderful series!

    Buried in Print - Chaos Walking is awesome! I think it might be a good idea for me to start finishing some of these.

    Darren - I agree. I started feeling like it was getting repetitive, so I took a break, but I'm about ready to get back into it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just don't seem to get into series. I have read the Chronicles of Narnia and the first 8 of Janet Evanovich's. I have read the first book in a few recent series and have no desire to get to the seond. good luck to you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was never much of a series reader, but it seems like this year I've picked up a whole ton of first books of a series. I'm starting to get mildly panicked because I want to know what happens in the rest of all these series' I started, but that's a lot of books I need to acquire and read. And we all know that I definitely don't need to be acquiring more books... This series things is a slippery slope....

    ReplyDelete
  13. LMAO! I love this post. Especially the part about getting stupider with every Sooke Stackhouse book. I need some fluff, so I'm seriously thinking about downloading the first one and watching myself get sucked into the fray.

    I have most of the Septimus Heap books at my house, and while I'm quite certain I'll love them, I haven't started yet. I tend to veer towards YA and children's SFF during the colder months, so it's about that time. I read almost every one of the Harry Potters in fall and winter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jeez ... you're not kidding. You DO read a lot of series. And I'm with you on the Sookie books, but they are good fun and perfect for when you need a mental break.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Care - I can't get enough series, but I do prefer to read them one at a time instead of the jumbled mess I have right now.

    Megan - Exactly! To finish all of the series I currently have going, I need to spend some serious cash buying books.

    Andi - Sookie is seriously addicting, like watching a train wreck or eating ice cream until you puke..

    Jenners - Definitely! And I really need to do something about all of these series...like actually finish some of them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Septimus Heap and Sookie Stackhouse- both are such, fun addictive series books

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nishitak - I agree completely! They are, of course, completely different, but both of them are wonderfully fun reads.

    ReplyDelete
  18. "I can actually feel myself rolling my eyes and getting stupider as I read these books." - SO true! I have book 10 ready for Dewey's 24 hr read-a-thon this weekend. Just can't seem to resist them.

    I'm way behind on my YA reading...this looks like a great list...

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!